Best Knife Sharpener.

Trigabby

Worksharp... Back when I had time and the inkling, I'd use my Lansky's, then the upgraded ones.. Or the whet stones.. or the sticks and spend hours on end sharpening hunting knives, kitchen knives, etc. etc. etc.

Now, with Worksharp, all can be done in less than an hour... Many knives.. Very sharp... And best of all is I have time left over.

jimboknows

The only problem with work sharp is no variable speed and you can remove A LOT of metal in a hurry. The newer one has variable speed motor.
It works great, but the chefs choice 3 stage electric sharpeners are razor makers.
Bothe of these systems are fast and will truly make shave sharp blades

Chefmuss

Sharpening a knife is a skill that takes time to develop. It also takes time as others have said to properly sharpen a blade, and if the blade is dull to start it is a whole other ball game! Using a honing Steele is critical to maintaining a very sharp knife that you don't have to re sharpen every two minutes. A good three or four passes on a Steele will straighten a blade nicely but will not sharpen it! Ready to give up yet....? Well don't. I am a chef and a butcher and can break down and debone pretty much anything and have....I will alway have a boning knife with me but really when it comes to skinning an animal the Havalon knives are very hard to beat! $35 bucks for a folding scalpel basically with a dozen extra blades....the thing is bad to the bone...just don't try and cut through bone! :)
I slaughtered a goat on my friends farm a couple months ago and used the havalon to skin him out, the boning knife was for removing the head and feet.
If it's about the right tool for the job leave the buck knife and the Kbar at home and get both of these....
http://www.havalon.com
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victo...microban-flexible-curved-boning-knife-p129588
Both are extreme light weight and the boning knife will be easy to sharpen and keep sharp....much easier than any "hunting" knife ever will be. Also you will be in for $50-$60 buck for both!
Good hunting!

afi1

I use a Lansky system to establish a bevel (natural or diamond depending on the blade steel) and touch it up with a Spyderco Sharpmaker when needed. All my knives are kept scary sharp this way.

crackerdave

Knife sharpening is almost a lost art.I'm sure not blessed with any talent for it!

clown714

have no problem with a stone,since cub scout days.

but now use a lansky and a strop.

lansky sells a stone for serrated,works but takes time.

clown

RBM

I can't use a stone to save my life. Any good recomendations or am I better off buying the replaceable surgical blades?

For me it depends on my blades what I use. I usually use a diamond stone like EZ-Lap (has a rough side and finishing side) but lately I haven't been. For my harder blades like carbon steels I use a slotted carbide and ceramic sharpener like Smiths pocket sharpener (has a rough carbide slot and finishing ceramic slot). For my softer blades like stainless steels and machetes I use a sharpening steel, the same kind used for soft kitchen knives.

A lot of slotted sharpeners use two slots like the Smiths. One slot a rough carbide for restoring an uneven edge and one slot a smooth ceramic for finishing or dull edge touch up. The slotted sharpeners are the easiest to use and probably the best for those who have trouble sharpening on a stone. Most folks that can sharpen on a stone can also sharpen on a steel.

Jeff Raines

I bought the work sharp system at cabelas.It had 10 hunting knives shaving hair in 30 mins.

humdandy

Banned
Another Works Knife Sharpener!

Best $60 bucks I've spent. If you buy one, buy several replacements belts the don't last very long.

Jeff Raines

Dangit now y'all got me into buying the works sharper !

:D There are 3 versions to choose from.The ken onion edition is the most expensive at around $150.
I bought the cabelas edition for $100 and used the employee invitation discount to get $25 off.
Lots of youtube videos showing the ken onion.

I have a kabar kurki machete I wana sharpen with it. When I bought it that thing would shave hair off you. It's bad dull now. I'm gonna be a sharpen machine lol..