My Puter is messed up, Help.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I will probably be only able to post here at work for a while. When I turned on my machine at home last nite, the screen was in like a negetive color mode or something. My mouse don't work. It is like it is on standby. I tried rebooting several times. It won't shutdown like it is supposed to either. It is a Gateway and is running the ME operating system. Can anyone help? Thanks. :(

BANDERSNATCH

Can you boot into 'safe mode'? I believe ME will let you boot that way. Hold down the F8 key when windows starts to load and you should get the option to go to 'safe mode'.

Also, hopefully you have kept your antivirus software up-to-date. Antivirus software, and spyware software for that matter, is no longer optional.

I think antivirus companies generate these new worms! :cool:

Bandy

Skipper

Banned
It sounds to me like you are running in "Safe" mode. If so, something has happened to corrupt Windows, likely a virus. I suggest that if at all possible, save your data NOW. It may not work out, but try anyway. You'll likely end up having to wipe the hard drive and reload everything. If you have a lot of data that needs to be saved like pictures and such, one thing you might consider is purchasing a new hard drive and installing it in the computer. Remove the old hard drive and hang on to it. With the new hard drive in, use your recovery disks to restore the machine. Install your software etc. Once it's running again, you can re-install the old hard drive in the slave position so you'll still be booting from the new drive. Boot the computer up, and you should be able to browse to the old hard drive from "My Computer" and read the contents. You should then be able to remove the old data and put it on the new dive. Of course you stand a chance of transferring the virus when you do that. Once you have the data safely on the new drive, you can format the old hard drive wiping it clean.

Skipper

sr.corndog

putter want work

I had a gateway and believe me it was a problem. How old is your gateway? I replaced mine with a emachine t3065 cost less than 600 bucks. My technology man at school told me that computers go bad on the shelf (out date themselves) he recomended the e-machine as a replacement. Our school system Douglas County has Dell in all our classrooms. Replace and save your important info on a disc. GOOD LUCK! :flag:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Thanks yall. :clap: Quess I will work on it tonite and see what I can do. :( Maybe I can save it.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Hey yall ; I did it I saved my puter. I booted to safe mode and reinstalled my system. Now it is fresh and new( lost all my pics but I have them on a disc anyway so not truly lost). Internet not up yet but I am working on that. Thanks for yall's help.

BANDERSNATCH

Congrats Pay! If you're like me you go into withdrawals when you don't have a computer to access Woody's with! :cool:

Bandy

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
My Access to the Internet is still not back yet. Bellsouth is blaiming it on Ivan. If anyone has Bellsouth internet service, PM me some access numbers I might try. The one they gave me at Bell is not working. I am only able to get to Woodys at work and I missed you folks this weekend bad. :mad: