Jerky question

seaweaver

I just got a kit for yesterdays doe. I'd heard alot about it so I'm gonna try....
Then I read where they suggest the meat be frozen 60 days prior to, to kill parasites.
60 days!
I 'll be thinking about birds by then.
What do yall do?
thanks
cw

seaweaver

3J's....are those rings on your skin????!!!!!!!
I was thinking to add some Evan Williams to the mix to kill anything as some who will be eating will not be able to imbibe.

J the kit is really just a glorified caulk gun that presses a flat or round jerky out, and a drying rack....yea ha.
But the gun seems nice if it hold up
cw

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve never heard of that before. I make my jerky the original way that it was done by the Indians and early settlers in this part of the country, and I`m still alive and kickin`.

seaweaver

How' that Nic.
I plan on grinding ,season , squeezing , and drying.
Wow that almost sounds like a Journey song.
cw

jay sullivent

i cut the meat into narrow thin strips, marinade it in 50/50 worchester/soy sauce mixture with a little crushed fresh garlic, and dried crushed red peppers, hang it from the oven racks with toothpicks, cut the oven on the lowest setting and prop the door open a little with a wooden spoon. i've never seen anybody make jerky with a caulking gun.

seaweaver

Well it's ground first then extruded. A fella at at the range told me about it and said its like a slimjim w/o the casing.
cw

jmharris23

Just so you know seaweaver i've been using the caulk gun method for three years now. It works great and way easier than cutting strips- plus you can make it anytime just by thawing out some ground! As far as freezing it for 60 days mines always been in the freezer a few months before i made any , but that was on accident.

goob

yup

i make it with an extruder also, mine stays in the cold a week or so, and then i freeze the jerky anyways.

THREEJAYS

3J's....are those rings on your skin????!!!!!!!
I was thinking to add some Evan Williams to the mix to kill anything as some who will be eating will not be able to imbibe.

J the kit is really just a glorified caulk gun that presses a flat or round jerky out, and a drying rack....yea ha.
But the gun seems nice if it hold up
cw

Man that explains alot, maybe freezing 120 days from now on:confused:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A little history lesson first. The Indians and early pioneers in this country used buffalo, elk, and deer to make their jerky. Out west they would cut it in strips and hang it up so the wind and air could dry it. This works fine out there due to the extremely low humidity.
It won`t work here due to the high humidity so they would hang the strips high over a low fire and let the dry heat and smoke cure the meat. This meat is not cooked though, just cured. True jerky is still "raw" so to speak. When done this way it has a good flavor too. It can also be put in a pot of water and it will rejuvenate. This works well for stews and one pot meals.
Unfortunately, I can`t tell you how long it will last because all I make is eaten up by this bunch around here purty quick!

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i cut my strips and marinate in dales and red wine with a stiff shot of tony's cajun shake. i used to use a dehydrator but i use the oven now. easy and goooood!!! i had a jerky shooter but did not like the texture. i like my jerky tough so i can feel all manly and predator-like rippin' pieces off:bounce: :bounce: FERAL --- it is not just my screen name :rofl:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I use the gun and dryer, then shrink wrap and freeze. Been doing it that way for years. Nobody has died, and it tastes good too.

seaweaver

I made some and used my wife's oven at 170 and after three hours it hadn't budged so i left it overnight.....
WOW you talk about some scary looking stuff.

The second batch I added some shire and soy to make it pop some more and was going to set the bake at 290 w/ the cook time for 4 hrs....but I forgot to set the oven timer...all night again and just as scary. It all eats well though, just have to soak it in a little mouth beer berfoe I begin to chew. After that it's easy.
I 'm gonna see about another doe tonight to try in the smoker. Nic's story has got the jucies flowing.
ps and garlic!
cw

always hunting

I freeze and then thaw to a point that I can cut into thin strips soak in Moores or dales along with texas pete and a couple of oz of Makers Mark for 3 days and then put in the oven at 170 degreesfor 8 - 12 hrs. Since my son is on the west cost in the navy I seem to supply the USS Nebraska with all of the jerky.