Do you keep spare parts for your weapons?

45alltheway

Do any of you guys keep spare parts (parts that have a tendency to get worn out or break over a period of time) for your pistols, shotguns or rifles. I never have but am considering doing this for some of my pistols and rifles. Whatcha think?:cheers:

bigboye

I only have spare parts for my AR15's. Other than that, no. My thinking is if one shotgun is not working, get another. I think it would be a good idea to have parts for my pistols. The one problem I have is I was told Springfield doesn't sell spare parts for the XD, but I could be wrong.

45alltheway

Im with you on that, I have several rifles and shotguns and pistols so it would not be a problem, I think I do need things such as broken shell extractors, extra mags, stuff like that for sks, ak, maybe even a couple of replacement springs or rods. Just really never had a gun malfunction in my life from a bad part.

Wiskey_33

I'd love it if someone sold a "kit" that had all springs/pins/extractors/etc. to replace broken AR parts.

I contacted Sabre Defence about it and they said they didn't have one.

TwinGlock40z

I'd love it if someone sold a "kit" that had all springs/pins/extractors/etc. to replace broken AR parts.

I contacted Sabre Defence about it and they said they didn't have one.

thats funny you say that. i know someone who use to put those kits together and sell them to smaller law enforcement departments so they could have them on hand. i'll get with him and see if he still does that. its been about 3 years or so that i last knew of him doing it.

NOYDB

BANNED
No, but I need spare parts, my guns are in better shape than I am.

I have to ask. What gun do you have that you have so little confidence in it, and why do you have it? Not busting anyones chops, but I would be upgrading the unit or trading it in if I thought it was not reliable.

YES I keep spare parts for my guns. That way if something happens to break since it is simply a machined part then I dont have to wait to order something and then wait for it to come in before I can get my gun back in the fight.

AR bolts break, 1911 recoil springs get soft, extractors break, with use things fatigue over time. With a deer rifle I wouldnt keep spare parts laying around. It only gets used once a year or so and fires maybe 20 rounds a year max, you wont wear something out like that. But my weapons get used. My AR as it sits right now has probably 5k rounds thru it. My Glock that is two weeks old already has 200 plus rounds thru it. My 1911 the first day I got it I shot 100 rounds thru it for function testing. I had to replace the extractor in it ... shot another 50 rounds just to function test it.... my 1911 was used when I got it, and I dont know the exact round count on it but I can tell you this ... I am sure that it will need some recoil springs here before long and I have them ready to go so my pistol will be back in the fight if it decides to take a dump on me.

having spare parts for weapons is the same thing as stocpiling ammo, mags, or something like that. I havent had my Glock but for two weeks now, I have 20 mags for it. I have close to 50 AR mags, I need to up the count of quality 1911 mags. I have a Marlin 22lr, I have 7 mags for it and will probably add another 3 more to the stash as well. Having spare parts is along the lines of buying bottled water and stockpiling food, you have it just in case and you hope that you never need it but when you do need it you have it right then and dont have to wait for it.

45alltheway

YES I keep spare parts for my guns. That way if something happens to break since it is simply a machined part then I dont have to wait to order something and then wait for it to come in before I can get my gun back in the fight.

AR bolts break, 1911 recoil springs get soft, extractors break, with use things fatigue over time. With a deer rifle I wouldnt keep spare parts laying around. It only gets used once a year or so and fires maybe 20 rounds a year max, you wont wear something out like that. But my weapons get used. My AR as it sits right now has probably 5k rounds thru it. My Glock that is two weeks old already has 200 plus rounds thru it. My 1911 the first day I got it I shot 100 rounds thru it for function testing. I had to replace the extractor in it ... shot another 50 rounds just to function test it.... my 1911 was used when I got it, and I dont know the exact round count on it but I can tell you this ... I am sure that it will need some recoil springs here before long and I have them ready to go so my pistol will be back in the fight if it decides to take a dump on me.

having spare parts for weapons is the same thing as stocpiling ammo, mags, or something like that. I havent had my Glock but for two weeks now, I have 20 mags for it. I have close to 50 AR mags, I need to up the count of quality 1911 mags. I have a Marlin 22lr, I have 7 mags for it and will probably add another 3 more to the stash as well. Having spare parts is along the lines of buying bottled water and stockpiling food, you have it just in case and you hope that you never need it but when you do need it you have it right then and dont have to wait for it.

You nailed this on the head. My sentiments exactly.

45alltheway

also

for all the reasons Outsyd listed. I myself have been stockpiling ammo, water, long term storable food, mags, extra firearms, camping and survival equipment, medical items, JUST IN CASE. you never know, check out what Switzerland does. This is how they live daily and have for decades, they think it is funny for someone to be called a survivalist for stocking ammo, food, water, etc. This is just a way of life for them. If more people in this coutry did the same thing no one would have to depend on the govt for very much at all.

contender*

I have a bunch for 1911's, mainly just from buyin, sellin, swappin and changin. I've never had a part break from just plain wearing it out. I have broke a few from just plain stupidity...:D:banginghe

wildcatt

parts

I have spares for my 1911s and hi power.because I coould not pass up the price. here you want some parts there yours.that price I can live with that was 30 yrs ago and have not used them.and I shot compitition twice a week.
there are parts kits for ar15 and aks.in shotgun news.
:huh: