Ruger #1 or Browning A-bolt Eclipse?

CTY

I am looking for a good rifle to use while deer hunting areas with the likelihood of a 300+ yard shot. I have narrowed my search to a stainless Ruger #1 in 300 win mag, or a stainless browning A-bolt eclipse in 300 win mag w/boss or 300 WSM.
If you're not familiar, the eclipse is the a-bolt with the thumbhole stock and 26 in barrel.
-
Does anyone have any feedback on either of these guns? Which would you prefer?

marlin

I've never shot a 300 but I do shot a stainless 270 #1. I have made a couple of 300+ yard shots with success and several 200+ yard shots. I've been shooting the #1's for about 18 years. 7mm, 270 win stainless and 6mm.

chuckdog

I've had several No.1 Rugers, and I love them. I own or have owned several other types of rifles, including those with muzzle brakes. My recommendation for out of the box accuracy would have to go to the Browning, although I'm not a fan of the boss. For class, I like the Ruger. If you're willing to work with it, it's possible to get outstanding accuracy from the Ruger. It's according to what you're willing to risk. The Abolt's likely to be the better bet. Thanks' for allowing my 2 cents.

Kris87

i have a good many rifles, in various calibers, with various stocks, and differing triggers....that said, one of my most accurate i shoot regularly is a box stock synthetic/stainless a-bolt 300 win mag. only thing i've changed is the $25 timney spring replacement in the trigger, and it is a tack driver. its the best shooting stock gun i've ever had.

Doc_Holliday23

The #1 is an infinitely classy gun. I just love them and would prefer it over an a-bolt (just never been a big fan.)

Both will be plenty accurate out to 300 yards, though.

br6ppc

If you just have to get a thumbhole stock, get the A-Bolt Eclipse w/out the BOSS if available. Otherwise, a 300 WSM or Win Mag Stainless Stalker. The #1 is a beautiful rifle, especially the 1-A, but they can be finicky about accuracy. I have had several and if they shoot good, fine. But if not, it can be a job to get good accuracy from them. If you get an A-Bolt, take Kris87's advice. Be sure to get the Timney trigger springs. That is money well spent on the A-Bolt trigger.

Big7

The Oracle
Go with the Ruger..

Buzz

I'm just sort of curious what made you decide on these two choices in those calibers? Personally - I'd probably look at a Remington 700 in .25-06, .270 Win, or even .30-06. All three of those give up very little in trajectory and deer killing power at 300y to a .300 Win Mag but will do so with a lot less muzzle blast and recoil.

I really like the Ruger #1, but most of my serious hunting rigs are bolt actions with McMillan stocks and ceramic finishes. I don't really have much nice to say about Browning rifles.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I am looking for a good rifle to use while deer hunting areas with the likelihood of a 300+ yard shot. I have narrowed my search to a stainless Ruger #1 in 300 win mag, or a stainless browning A-bolt eclipse in 300 win mag w/boss or 300 WSM.
If you're not familiar, the eclipse is the a-bolt with the thumbhole stock and 26 in barrel.
-
Does anyone have any feedback on either of these guns? Which would you prefer?

i have a good many rifles, in various calibers, with various stocks, and differing triggers....that said, one of my most accurate i shoot regularly is a box stock synthetic/stainless a-bolt 300 win mag. only thing i've changed is the $25 timney spring replacement in the trigger, and it is a tack driver. its the best shooting stock gun i've ever had.

I'm just sort of curious what made you decide on these two choices in those calibers? Personally - I'd probably look at a Remington 700 in .25-06, .270 Win, or even .30-06. All three of those give up very little in trajectory and deer killing power at 300y to a .300 Win Mag but will do so with a lot less muzzle blast and recoil.

I have one of the M-1000s blued.. first 2 shots with a 130gr the holes were touching...cleaned it..shot 2 more with 140gr and they were touching. Mine is .270WSM and I can't wait until it is broken in and gets accurate. I did the Timney kit as mentioned above. I have a M77VT in .25-06 that I think is my favorite rifle for some reason. I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to 300 with it. It is pretty sweet in the 230-250 range on that lil white patch under the chin. A real nice flat shooter as mention above and it won't beat you up. With Hornady 117gr BTSP it holds about a quarter size group at 100 and at 200 I am sure a 50 would cover them imagine what it would do if you worked a load up for it. The only thing I can tell you about the #1 is DON'T TRY IT IN .458:D

Flaustin1

Ive been shooting an a-bolt for 11 years with zero problems and it is very very accurate to be an almost completely stock rifle. I dont think you can go wrong with either though. The #1s are definately beautiful.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
A-Bolt=No

Ruger=Yes

BOSS=Absolutely NOT!!!!

Personally I would Go with a Ruger Hawkeye but if you go with the Browning run from any with the BOSS....Ugly,Loud and terrible resale of course resale on any A-Bolt is lousy.

Bruz

chuckdog

Many people don't buy a rifle even considering resale value. They're not gun traders. They buy em' and keep em. Resale value on most deer hunting rifles is rotten, especially when they belong to me. I expect my handguns and target rifles to hold a certain value, but hunting rifles are a different story. That Hawkeye you mentioned, would be harder for me to sell than a comparable Abolt. We definitely agree on the Boss. It kills the resale value for most rifles, no matter whose name is on it. The best way to buy a deer rifle is used. Wait till mid Feburary and see how many "never been to the woods" rifles hit the market. With all the new low cost tack drivers being marketed by Savage, Marlin, and TC now, how much will anyone pay for any used bolt rifle? I own both A Bolts and Hawkeyes', ain't neither of them would jump off the shelf for anywhere near what they sold for new.

CTY

Thanks for all of the replies...very good info. I want the 300 mag caliber b/c I can take it anywhere in North America with no doubt it will do the job.....I know many will argue that locals kill elk with 30-30's, .270's, etc....I am simply partial to the 300 mag. If I spend 1000.00+ on a rifle and 700-1000 on a scope, that will probably be the only rifle I use for any hunting trip and I feel the 300 mag is one of the most versatile rounds made.
It appears many would pick the Ruger b/c its a good looking rifle and I agree....but I am more concerned with out of the box accuracy than looks. I don't want to buy a nice rifle and then spend hours trying to get it to shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Thanks for all of the replies...very good info. I want the 300 mag caliber b/c I can take it anywhere in North America with no doubt it will do the job.....I know many will argue that locals kill elk with 30-30's, .270's, etc....I am simply partial to the 300 mag. If I spend 1000.00+ on a rifle and 700-1000 on a scope, that will probably be the only rifle I use for any hunting trip and I feel the 300 mag is one of the most versatile rounds made.
It appears many would pick the Ruger b/c its a good looking rifle and I agree....but I am more concerned with out of the box accuracy than looks. I don't want to buy a nice rifle and then spend hours trying to get it to shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

In all seriousness. The best value,resale,out of box accuracy and great looking rifles you can buy are a Remington 700 CDL or Winchester Model 70 Supergrade or Featherweight.

The are classics in every sense of the word.

You will not be sorry with any of the above.

This is my Semi-Custom Rem 700 in 300WM. It shoots 130gr Barnes TTSXs at 3,500fps into less than .5" if i do my part.

8df1f16a.jpg

Robert

8pointduck

Though I like both these rifles, Browning rifles have a higher resale value. Maybe not the #1,but with the 77 . Browning has the edge on accuracy too.Mercedes vs Hyundai:rolleyes:I don't think so........................

MadDawg51

I was looking at a CZ 550 a few days ago. It has a nice feel, Mauser type action with full length extractor and controlled round feed, good trigger with option to use the single set trigger. I may prefer it over the M700 or M77. Of course, the Ruger #1 offers some real length and weight advantages. The CZ appears to be a really nice choice.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Though I like both these rifles, Browning rifles have a higher resale value. Maybe not the #1,but with the 77 . Browning has the edge on accuracy too.Mercedes vs Hyundai:rolleyes:I don't think so........................

The A-Bolt is an overly complicated design with pot metal internals.....Try to sell several used A-Bolts and get back to me...Been there...Done that.

I buy and sell several rifles a year....if you buy a new A Bolt for $1,000 you will be lucky to get $650 in a year. If you buy a Rem 700 for $700 you can get $600-$650 for the next 10 years.

Flaustin1

Hate to tell ya guys but my slightly modified browning will outshoot most remingtons with the same mods.