Is my atheist dad in heaven?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
What is the correct interpretation and understanding of these scriptures?

Joshua 6
17 And the city and all that is within it shall be devoted to the Lord for destruction. Only Rahab the prostitute and all who are with her in her house shall live, because she hid the messengers whom we sent.

Deuteronomy 20
16 But in the cities of these peoples that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance, you shall save alive nothing that breathes, 17 but you shall devote them to complete destruction, the Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites and the Perizzites, the Hivites and …

1 Samuel 15
1 Samuel said to Saul, “I am the one the Lord sent to anoint you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord. 2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

4 So Saul summoned the men and mustered them at Telaim—two hundred thousand foot soldiers and ten thousand from Judah. 5 Saul went to the city of Amalek and set an ambush in the ravine. 6 Then he said to the Kenites, “Go away, leave the Amalekites so that I do not destroy you along with them; for you showed kindness to all the Israelites when they came up out of Egypt.” So the Kenites moved away from the Amalekites.

7 Then Saul attacked the Amalekites all the way from Havilah to Shur, near the eastern border of Egypt. 8 He took Agag king of the Amalekites alive, and all his people he totally destroyed with the sword. 9 But Saul and the army spared Agag and the best of the sheep and cattle, the fat calves and lambs—everything that was good. These they were unwilling to destroy completely, but everything that was despised and weak they totally destroyed.

10 Then the word of the Lord came to Samuel: 11 “I regret that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions.” Samuel was angry, and he cried out to the Lord all that night.

12 Early in the morning Samuel got up and went to meet Saul, but he was told, “Saul has gone to Carmel. There he has set up a monument in his own honor and has turned and gone on down to Gilgal.”

13 When Samuel reached him, Saul said, “The Lord bless you! I have carried out the Lord’s instructions.”

14 But Samuel said, “What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears? What is this lowing of cattle that I hear?”

15 Saul answered, “The soldiers brought them from the Amalekites; they spared the best of the sheep and cattle to sacrifice to the Lord your God, but we totally destroyed the rest.”

16 “Enough!” Samuel said to Saul. “Let me tell you what the Lord said to me last night.”

“Tell me,” Saul replied.

17 Samuel said, “Although you were once small in your own eyes, did you not become the head of the tribes of Israel? The Lord anointed you king over Israel. 18 And he sent you on a mission, saying, ‘Go and completely destroy those wicked people, the Amalekites; wage war against them until you have wiped them out.’ 19 Why did you not obey the Lord? Why did you pounce on the plunder and do evil in the eyes of the Lord?”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ch...-command-killing-in-the-old-testament-170386/

Israel

BANNED
Adam was passive in that he should have taken action. He should have refused. He should have told Eve “we’re going to do this.” He should have been a man.

Instead he just stood there like a dummy and didn’t lead or protect his wife, which should have been his chief role in life.”

He was just passive in a “whatever you think is best baby” kind of way.

Do you believe Adam was appointed to this?

To "face himself" and learn he had no power to resist himself? (Dare we forget "who" Eve is? From whom...she came out of? The very "stuff" of Eve? That constitutes...Eve?)

The strangeness of sin. In a moment all became "else" to Adam.
Is it its most compelling work? To deceive in that way? To fracture...where once no fracture was seen? The introduction of the appearance...of fracture, the seeing of a fracture?

What, in all does not change? What in all...did not change?
I see only one.

What remained of the given...that proved in its remaining to a perfect persistence and showed itself then, true? To what might Adam still look...and find a perfection?

And, is it any different "for us"? Or, are we fractured in our sight...from Adam?

Is there a perfect of reason, a perfection of reason to an understanding purposed in that reason, that He who has become for us all salvation, and even all of reason, bears a name?

He has eyes like blazing fire, and many royal crowns on His head. He has a name written on Him that only He Himself knows. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and His name is The Word of God.

Last edited:

atlashunter

In post 760 you said any time someone kills at the behest of god it is misinterpreted and misunderstood. Now you’re giving me a link rather than your own answer that justifies these commands to kill on grounds that the Israelites would have been led to evil had they not committed genocide. Does this pass your smell test? Because it sure doesn’t pass mine. Murder an entire group of people including children and infants lest they might persuade you to live immorally. Seems the horse has already left the barn in this case. Should this godly principle still be put into action today? There are plenty of folks running around who are wicked to hear Christians tell it and leading people astray. Why should they also not be murdered? Who’s to say this unchanging god isn’t still instructing people to murder on this basis if he’s already done it in the past? And is this what passes for morality in the Christian religion? I think you can all do better than this.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
In post 760 you said any time someone kills at the behest of god it is misinterpreted and misunderstood. Now you’re giving me a link rather than your own answer that justifies these commands to kill on grounds that the Israelites would have been led to evil had they not committed genocide. Does this pass your smell test? Because it sure doesn’t pass mine. Murder an entire group of people including children and infants lest they might persuade you to live immorally. Seems the horse has already left the barn in this case. Should this godly principle still be put into action today? There are plenty of folks running around who are wicked to hear Christians tell it and leading people astray. Why should they also not be murdered? Who’s to say this unchanging god isn’t still instructing people to murder on this basis if he’s already done it in the past? And is this what passes for morality in the Christian religion? I think you can all do better than this.
Rather than retyping a lot of words, the link well explains how the cross ended all of that. So yes, if a person goes on a killing spree while trying to use scripture to justify it, they are misinterpreting and misunderstanding.

I’m aware that there’s a lot of people leading others astray, I find nothing scriptural that justifies killing them, if you understand the complete role of the cross. That too is also explained in that info.

atlashunter

Rather than retyping a lot of words, the link well explains how the cross ended all of that. So yes, if a person goes on a killing spree while trying to use scripture to justify it, they are misinterpreting and misunderstanding.

I’m aware that there’s a lot of people leading others astray, I find nothing scriptural that justifies killing them, if you understand the complete role of the cross. That too is also explained in that info.

That’s your interpretation and you’re entitled to it. So are others. The original point on which we are now in agreement is that this god of yours is one who has not only commanded murder but has commanded mass murder. That’s not a misinterpretation. That’s what is in your religious book. I’m not particularly interested in the apologists defense of it.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That’s your interpretation and you’re entitled to it. So are others. The original point on which we are now in agreement is that this god of yours is one who has not only commanded murder but has commanded mass murder. That’s not a misinterpretation. That’s what is in your religious book. I’m not particularly interested in the apologists defense of it.

I don’t feel compelled to giving an apologetic defense for it.

The point you have tried to make is that “Religious people” are following scripture when they fly planes into a building.

The only point I wanted to make was they misinterpreted scripture.

atlashunter

I don’t feel compelled to giving an apologetic defense for it.

The point you have tried to make is that “Religious people” are following scripture when they fly planes into a building.

The only point I wanted to make was they misinterpreted scripture.

You miss the point. I cannot say whether or not they were really acting at the behest of a deity. I have my own suspicions on the matter. But one cannot say this god that they and you worship has never and would never command murder. Your religious texts says otherwise.

atlashunter

You miss the point. I cannot say whether or not they were really acting at the behest of a deity. I have my own suspicions on the matter. But one cannot say this god that they and you worship has never and would never command murder. Your religious texts says otherwise.

And at this point you’ve already acknowledged that to be the case. Your only dispute is whether they were doing God’s will in that instance. If it could be shown beyond doubt that they were then you would be compelled to call it a moral act.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I believe the plane flyers were acting on their belief and instruction of “Allah”. Can’t tell you a lot about their beliefs other than our own govt is saying that it’s a religion of peace with the exception of radicals.

So I can safely assume that just like in my belief system, that misinterpretation and misunderstanding of any text happens elsewhere too.

oldfella1962

this is the main problem I have with Christianity - the god of the bible does horrendous things like commanding mass murder - but the default reasoning is "god has his reasons/we are too stupid to understand his thought process/if we have faith we will eventually understand but if not then no big deal, just trust & obey".

I'm not seeing "god's love" in the equation at all. The message I see from god is "obey or be eternally punished." :huh: So basically power & fear. We humans are contemptible, imperfect creatures (no argument from me there) so we must "love" the very entity that will send us to eternal torment if we don't. :(

Explaining this arrangement to an alien from another planet with no concept of religion would drive them :crazy:

Yes there is one escape from the torment which involves again obedience - no love as humans feel it involved. Anyone can say they believe in (or love) jesus/god but obedience is the bottom line. And to really obey you must turn a blind eye to anything that your brain tells you is wrong - whether morally wrong (telling your chosen people to commit mass murder on several occasions or even commit it yourself) or factually wrong (Noah's ark).

Granted loving your neighbor, being peaceful and merciful & law abiding & whatnot is preferable to the alternative, so there is a positive effect on society for the average person.

But the basic message is "I hate you pathetic creatures and will send you to eternal torment if you don't fear, worship & obey me & my sinless son who I sacrificed because you idiots can never seem to get it right." :eek:

WaltL1

this is the main problem I have with Christianity - the god of the bible does horrendous things like commanding mass murder - but the default reasoning is "god has his reasons/we are too stupid to understand his thought process/if we have faith we will eventually understand but if not then no big deal, just trust & obey".

I'm not seeing "god's love" in the equation at all. The message I see from god is "obey or be eternally punished." :huh: So basically power & fear. We humans are contemptible, imperfect creatures (no argument from me there) so we must "love" the very entity that will send us to eternal torment if we don't. :(

Explaining this arrangement to an alien from another planet with no concept of religion would drive them :crazy:

Yes there is one escape from the torment which involves again obedience - no love as humans feel it involved. Anyone can say they believe in (or love) jesus/god but obedience is the bottom line. And to really obey you must turn a blind eye to anything that your brain tells you is wrong - whether morally wrong (telling your chosen people to commit mass murder on several occasions or even commit it yourself) or factually wrong (Noah's ark).

Granted loving your neighbor, being peaceful and merciful & law abiding & whatnot is preferable to the alternative, so there is a positive effect on society for the average person.

But the basic message is "I hate you pathetic creatures and will send you to eternal torment if you don't fear, worship & obey me & my sinless son who I sacrificed because you idiots can never seem to get it right." :eek:
The alien would be like - :hair:

oldfella1962

The complete role of the cross makes mass killing by god and/or his chosen people redundant? Riddle me this:
relatively soon after creating the world & mankind god realized humans would never stop sinning so he destroyed the world except for the few who were acting right. Sure enough after a while enough people were acting right so they became his "chosen people" AKA Jews. They weren't perfect, but they had potential so god helped them massacre their enemies and win enough battles so that they didn't go extinct, and their culture got well established over time.

A couple of thousand years and change later both the Jews and the savage non-Jews were still sinning. Granted the crazy violent "kill & rape em' all let me sort it out" battles weren't happening as often but things weren't still right with the world. So god sent his son as a sacrifice because all the other sacrificing wasn't winning god's favor.

So without the cross Jews would still be stuck with god in angry violent brutal mode and acting accordingly? No, since their religion doesn't consider jesus their savior yet they gave up the bronze age kill & plunder ways on their own. So I guess the cross is for anyone & everyone to accept since mankind will never get their act together & stop sinning because just our mere human existence is one big sin since Adam & Eve.

So believers in the true god of the bible/torah before jesus was crucified (which would have been Jews I guess) don't have to kill in god's name on a mass scale anymore since god sent a sacrifice that they don't believe in or follow. :confused:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The complete role of the cross makes mass killing by god and/or his chosen people redundant? Riddle me this:
relatively soon after creating the world & mankind god realized humans would never stop sinning so he destroyed the world except for the few who were acting right. Sure enough after a while enough people were acting right so they became his "chosen people" AKA Jews. They weren't perfect, but they had potential so god helped them massacre their enemies and win enough battles so that they didn't go extinct, and their culture got well established over time.

A couple of thousand years and change later both the Jews and the savage non-Jews were still sinning. Granted the crazy violent "kill & rape em' all let me sort it out" battles weren't happening as often but things weren't still right with the world. So god sent his son as a sacrifice because all the other sacrificing wasn't winning god's favor.

So without the cross Jews would still be stuck with god in angry violent brutal mode and acting accordingly? No, since their religion doesn't consider jesus their savior yet they gave up the bronze age kill & plunder ways on their own. So I guess the cross is for anyone & everyone to accept since mankind will never get their act together & stop sinning because just our mere human existence is one big sin since Adam & Eve.

So believers in the true god of the bible/torah before jesus was crucified (which would have been Jews I guess) don't have to kill in god's name on a mass scale anymore since god sent a sacrifice that they don't believe in or follow. :confused:
In short, these “killings” you speak of were judgement against sin and the “wicked”. For their day, they’re actually considered “lawful killings” since it was a commandment from God. And as we have seen in recent discussion, lawful killings are ok:bounce:

Jews sacrificed to push aside their sin. Since the Jews were Gods chosen people, a blood sacrifice would be required, and would be for all of mankind, including the wicked.

So yes the cross fixed all of that. Of course there are those that don’t believe that but that’s a separate topic.

atlashunter

In short, these “killings” you speak of were judgement against sin and the “wicked”. For their day, they’re actually considered “lawful killings” since it was a commandment from God. And as we have seen in recent discussion, lawful killings are ok:bounce:

Jews sacrificed to push aside their sin. Since the Jews were Gods chosen people, a blood sacrifice would be required, and would be for all of mankind, including the wicked.

So yes the cross fixed all of that. Of course there are those that don’t believe that but that’s a separate topic.

If you think lawful killings are always ok then you think the holocaust was ok. Really you’re just making yourself look bad trying to defend the wholesale slaughter of people. He makes a good point. Jews don’t share your belief in the cross so in their view they are still under OT law. Your reasons for thinking god ordering mass murder is a relic of the past don’t apply to them. Or muslims. Or most of the history of Christianity for that matter. Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If you think lawful killings are always ok then you think the holocaust was ok. Really you’re just making yourself look bad trying to defend the wholesale slaughter of people. He makes a good point. Jews don’t share your belief in the cross so in their view they are still under OT law. Your reasons for thinking god ordering mass murder is a relic of the past don’t apply to them. Or muslims. Or most of the history of Christianity for that matter. Stop trying to defend the indefensible.
There’s no reasoning with you. I don’t think any killings are ok other than self defense where you are not given a choice. I went from all killings are wrong to giving your point of lawful killings and the law is what we make it and looking at it objectively and reasonably.
You’re disdain / hatred with Christianity will not allow you to do the same. Too closed minded.

There was an era where slavery was legal and acceptable. Times change. I guess in your world, it doesn’t and every white man still owes the descendants of slavery victims......

Carry on with your rant.

Last edited:

atlashunter

There’s no reasoning with you. I don’t think any killings are ok other than self defense where you are not given a choice. I went from all killings are wrong to giving your point of lawful killings and the law is what we make it and looking at it objectively and reasonably.
You’re disdain / hatred with Christianity will not allow you to do the same. Too closed minded.

There was an era where slavery was legal and acceptable. Times change. I guess in your world, it doesn’t and every white man still owes the descendants of slavery victims......

Carry on with your rant.

You keep making reference to “lawful killings are ok” as if anyone but you has said that.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
You keep making reference to “lawful killings are ok” as if anyone but you has said that.

Ok, look at this solely on a legal / illegal perspective. I may have misunderstood you.

Suicide by assistance is nothing but murder.

Is it? If I give you a gun knowing that you’re going to pull the trigger on yourself am I guilty of murder? Is that the same as doing it myself and taking your life against your will? Murder is defined as the unlawful taking of a human life. And the law is what we make it.

Right now, regardless if it was against the persons will or not, if you assisted someone in suicide in a state where it was not legal, what are you legally charged with??? The only way to change that is to what???

For states that allow it for "terminally ill, mentally capable" adults, how are they proving that the patient is mentally capable when they're usually on mind altering drugs? That is a sticker for me. Seems like at some point someone is going to get laid to rest because others are ready to move on.

Last edited:

Latest posts