Camper hook up to house. Help please

660griz

His camper. Don't really care. Just trying to save him some money. Had an electrician wire up for my 50 amp camper. I asked him if I could just plug it into dryer circuit and he told me no. Said it would fry everything in the camper. I'm not going to take a chance. I have too much money in this one.

RV 50 amp requires 2 hot(120v), a neutral, and a ground.
Modern dryers require 2 hot(120v), a neutral, and a ground.
Dryers may have a 30 amp breaker, you will need a 50 amp for the RV.

You may need a new electrician.

Also, campgrounds may have wiring issues. Get a surge protection/electronic management system for your RV because you are taking a chance every time you plug in to a strange receptacle.

Greene728

I think what's confusing folks is the fact that an RV uses both legs separately. Basically a 50 amp RV has two 110 sides and nothing uses 220 total. It is true that when both legs are added together they equal 220. But the system itself is 110. This is the reason why when a 50 amp RV is plugged into a 30 amp site using a dogbone adapter that drops one leg not everything can be used at once. I understand what you guys are saying, but calling the RV 220 is not true from an operation stand point as everything in it is 110. I don't understand all the terminology, but I do understand how it works.

660griz

I think what's confusing folks is the fact that an RV uses both legs separately. Basically a 50 amp RV has two 110 sides and nothing uses 220 total. It is true that when both legs are added together they equal 220. But the system itself is 110. This is the reason why when a 50 amp RV is plugged into a 30 amp site using a dogbone adapter that drops one leg not everything can be used at once. I understand what you guys are saying, but calling the RV 220 is not true from an operation stand point as everything in it is 110. I don't understand all the terminology, but I do understand how it works.
I think most said the hookup is 220v, which it is. 2 - 110v lines.
Correct, the RV uses both 110v lines for 50 amp service. No 220v appliances in mine. So, I think everyone is correct. :)

fndrbndr

RV 50 amp requires 2 hot(120v), a neutral, and a ground.
Modern dryers require 2 hot(120v), a neutral, and a ground.
Dryers may have a 30 amp breaker, you will need a 50 amp for the RV.

You may need a new electrician.

Also, campgrounds may have wiring issues. Get a surge protection/electronic management system for your RV because you are taking a chance every time you plug in to a strange receptacle.

Don't need a new electrician. I always use a surge protector. Trying to save him some money. But he can try it your way don't care.