Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44SF Mildot scope test results.

fatdaddy1

I have the same in a 30mm x 50 obj. It is a great scope for the coin... and as stated the warranty is second to none.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
I have been wondering what kind of scope I am going to put on my .358 Win Mauser build. I am partial to Sightron, but I just may go ahead and get a Vortex to try out. I obviously don't need a 6.5-20x, so I guess I will see how their lower magnification models work.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten

bullgator

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I would think it would hold up just fine....I would not be afraid to use one on a .338 LM. It's a tough scope.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
the guys on AR15.com always post VERY positive about vortex, i want to say the owners name is Sam and he is always on there answering questions. seems to be a stand up company, thanks for the range report. glad you got a great scope

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
OK...I finally got to wring this thing out at longer ranges. It performed just fine. I was able to dial in whatever elevation and windage I needed and return to zero without issues. I did not shoot beyond 1,000 yards but that was not due to a problem with the scope. I pinged the target several times at 1k and then returned the scope to zero and just about cut the center out of the 100 yard bull. Then I dialed in dope at 300, 400, and 500 and got 1st shot hits on the 300 and 400, missed the 500 with the first shot due to a loose nut behind the trigger. The wind changed just before the trigger broke and I didn't get off the shot and wait for my dope conditions.I got a hit on the 500 with the second shot without changing the turrets.

The following day, I just made a compensation in my shooting solution for the changes in the wind and got right on the 1k.

The only problem I had was when I was having trouble at the 300 yard mark, moved in to 100 yards again and still had trouble....before I had moved to downrange targets, I had shot bug holes at 100 yards. I couldn't figure out why I was now shooting a 3" group at 100. Something loose in the scope? Bad batch of handloads? Action screws loose? Then I found that my rail had loosened up at the back and was wandering around a little. I took the scope off and re-tightened the rail, remounted the scope, dialed in at 100 again and I was good to go again.

I also thought I had lost track of zero once, but that was my fault....you shouldn't go twisting knobs if you don't have a plan.....no big deal, I just adjusted down to the limit and counted up to my zero again...it was right where I thought it was, but I had put that little doubt in my own mind. However, that's one thing this scope could definitely use....a zero stop. I'm looking in to the possibility of adding one. I'm not sure if it's going to be possible or not, but it would be a great addition.

At longer ranges, the glass is good....not Nightforce or S&B good, but certainly acceptable. It compared about equally with the Nikon Monarch glass.