Moultrie 990

After years of frustration with my cuddebacks, i have decided to go to a moultrie. I have used a m-80 for a few years and had good luck out of it. Recently, it took a crap on me. It had always been pretty good to me, so i decided to give a newer moultrie a try. I honesty dont expect more than a few years out of a camera and for a few years my m80 was good to me.

When breifly talking to the customer service girl at bass pro, she said the only cameras to be returned are the Moultrie and Wild game. This scared me a bit, but i figured there was something to be said for the products she sees returned frequently.

After reading some reviews on the new 990 i was really impressed. It has some of the best reviews i have ever seen for a cheaper camera.

Upon first inspection i am very impressed with this camera. It seems very well put together and very thought out! It has tons of options and really am hoping for the best. When i tested this camera in my home against my Cuddeback IR camera, it kicks its butt! I am very impressed so far.

I will be putting this camera out in the woods today and intend to keep posting updates and give this camera a review. All i want is to have a good reliable camera for $200-$300. We cannot all afford reconyx......

GameMgr270

The m-990 is hard to beat for under $175. I wish it took sharper pics. Another reliable cam is the Covert Black 60.

Natty Bumppo

So how much did you pay for the Moultrie 990? I could look for myself, but it's easier to just ask.

I recently purchased something other than a cuddeback myself. I was a faithful cuddeback user for years, but after my last camera from them stopped working, I decided to try something else. I purchased a Busnell trophy cam and a Moultrie M-880. Both cameras have been great so far, but my favorite is the Moultrie. Pictures are plenty sharp/clear. I'm already wanting another. In addition, with a two year warranty from Moultrie, how could a person go wrong with this camera?

I'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures from your Moultrie and reading your review of the camera. Perhaps it'll make me want to try one also.

I dont want to jump to conclusions but buy one! LOL this camera rocks. I have been testing it in my home for a few days before deploying to the field. I would recommend the 990 for a few reasons.

The 10mp camera may be a bit excessive, but it is nice to have the option. It has an insane amount of options which is great. The number one thing that sold me was the 2" photo viewer for one reason. How many times have you set up your camera, backed up, danced around, pulled the card to check to be sure it is aimed correctly? I have done it hundreds. This camera has a live pointing action. You turn it on, back up and it shows you on the screen. That saves you 10 minutes of time when you could be out of your spot. That is awesome!

The camera was $200.

thericcardgrp

After years of frustration with my cuddebacks, i have decided to go to a moultrie. I have used a m-80 for a few years and had good luck out of it. Recently, it took a crap on me. It had always been pretty good to me, so i decided to give a newer moultrie a try. I honesty dont expect more than a few years out of a camera and for a few years my m80 was good to me.

When breifly talking to the customer service girl at bass pro, she said the only cameras to be returned are the Moultrie and Wild game. This scared me a bit, but i figured there was something to be said for the products she sees returned frequently.

After reading some reviews on the new 990 i was really impressed. It has some of the best reviews i have ever seen for a cheaper camera.

Upon first inspection i am very impressed with this camera. It seems very well put together and very thought out! It has tons of options and really am hoping for the best. When i tested this camera in my home against my Cuddeback IR camera, it kicks its butt! I am very impressed so far.

I will be putting this camera out in the woods today and intend to keep posting updates and give this camera a review. All i want is to have a good reliable camera for $200-$300. We cannot all afford reconyx......

I have a thread that I shared my experience with Moultrie customer service a few days ago. They have been outstanding. I had a camera I sent to them that did not work out of warranty and they fixed it updated the software and sent it back to me with out a charge and with out question. I am a Moultrie fan for life.

I have a thread that I shared my experience with Moultrie customer service a few days ago. They have been outstanding. I had a camera I sent to them that did not work out of warranty and they fixed it updated the software and sent it back to me with out a charge and with out question. I am a Moultrie fan for life.

I am glad to hear! I have to say cuddeback has great customer service as well but eventually if the products suck it doesn't matter how great they are.

papachaz

having had 4 different moultrie cameras over the last 4 years, and always leaving my dealings with their customer service angry and frustrated, I'll NEVER spend my money on anything with their name on it ever again. One of the last ones I bought came to me with the spring connectors missing from the battery box. you know the springs that touch the ends of the batteries.........when I called them, they expected me to pay to ship them a camera that shouldn't have ever left the factory, absolutely the most horrid excuse for product inspections possible. I contacted the store I bought it from online and they said they'd had several of them that way, she opened one and checked it (at my request while I was on the phone with her) then sent it and a shipping label to me to return the bad one.

if you went and bought a new moultrie camera and gave it to me, I'd take it back and swap it for a bushnell or covert. I absolutely hate them

having had 4 different moultrie cameras over the last 4 years, and always leaving my dealings with their customer service angry and frustrated, I'll NEVER spend my money on anything with their name on it ever again. One of the last ones I bought came to me with the spring connectors missing from the battery box. you know the springs that touch the ends of the batteries.........when I called them, they expected me to pay to ship them a camera that shouldn't have ever left the factory, absolutely the most horrid excuse for product inspections possible. I contacted the store I bought it from online and they said they'd had several of them that way, she opened one and checked it (at my request while I was on the phone with her) then sent it and a shipping label to me to return the bad one.

if you went and bought a new moultrie camera and gave it to me, I'd take it back and swap it for a bushnell or covert. I absolutely hate them

it sucks to hear but for every 10 reviews you hear, there is always a bad one. What type of issues have you had?

papachaz

it sucks to hear but for every 10 reviews you hear, there is always a bad one. What type of issues have you had?

Bad display, wouldn't repair or replace it, because it was only a few of the lines missing from the numbers/letters. (the customer service rep told me to put black electrical tape over the display to protect it.......which kind of defeats the purpose of even HAVING a display) until of course after the warranty period was out, when the whole thing went out. then I had to buy a new display and put it in myself. the above mentioned springs, and one that just flat out stopped working for no apparent reason, less than a month old. (this is the one they sent me to replace the one with the missing springs) 3 of 4 failed in less than 6 months, that's a 75% failure rate. besides the fact that customer service was no help on the display while it was starting to fail, and their expecting me to pay to return ship a camera to them that should have never left the factory.

says moultrie on it? I am not interested. when the couple i have now fail in the next month or so, I'll use them as decoys and hope to catch a thief with them

RUNnGUN

Well I just went and bought 2 of the Moultrie 990's. From reading the reviews, what y'all have said, and reading the box myself I definitely don't think that one could go wrong. 10 MP, heck we can do a professional photo shoot with this thing. Can't wait to get them in the woods this weekend and see how they work!

catch22

I bought the M990i through Amazon and had it shipped to my house for $152. Its been in the field since June and taking approx. 800 pics a week and I have replaced the 8 aa batteries once.

I love the camera.

I just wanted to notate something i find it extremely convenient. This camera has a spot on the right hand side (by the latches that shut the camera) where you can put a lock.

THIS IS AN AWESOME FEATURE!!!!!!!

I hunt in a hunting club and with all the game camera issues i have had this year i have been seriously worried about other members coming in behind me and checking the pictures. When i was using the cuddeback i had serious issues with the bear box, so i had no way to protect the camera from others.

This spot where you can put a lock on the camera insures you that no one is coming back and checking/deleting pictures without having to spend the extra money on a bear box and python cable. Awesome thought by the manufacturer.

Last of all the live action LCD for aiming the camera is the best feature i have ever seen. It made my life so so so easy. I could get in and out of my spot quicker therefore putting pressure on the area. AWESOME!

Last edited:
Here is my first report. I would like to notate that i think this is too soon to report, but i am going to do so anyway.

I would like to notate that i am not going to post game camera pictures. I will do my best to describe what i am reporting.

I have my camera on the 5.0 mp setting at a 5 second delay.

Here is the deal how i have been figuring out some issues. I have been keeping grease on the ground. This spot has been dug into a pit by the animals. What i have learned to do is to stack logs and branches on top of the pit, so that way in the pictures i can see the time frame. If the first picture has the logs all moved i know the camera missed some pictures. I have seen time and time again from my cuddeback that the first picture will have all the logs destroyed where the camera missed several pictures.

I am sad to report that i am very unhappy with my first card check. I have 25 pictures. Only 9 of the pictures are of animals and the rest are of me. The first picture i have is of a hog walking away. This is the day after i put fresh grease down and the hog is walking away with all the logs destroyed. This isn't a good way to get started. I should have had a picture of the animal walking into the frame, tearing up the dirt, then walking away. These pictures were all at night and taken with IR. Next, i had some coyotes come and and the camera seemed to be working perfect. There is pictures of them coming into frame, checking things out, then walking out. This was good news. Last of all the camera caught me walking into frame and putting new grease down. It seemed to be working perfectly. I sure do hope this issue was a fluke, i was so jacked up about this camera. I will continue to check on this camera and report my findings.

i would like to also say that i am completely open to criticism. I would love to know if i am doing something wrong or someone has some advice for me!

Last of all i would like to report this cameras performance test at my home. I put this camera next to my cuddeback on the same delay. The Moultrie 990i next to my cuddeback attack ir and the moultrie whooped its butt. The cuddeback reported 272 pictures and the moultrie reported 391. I was impressed and ready to put it in the woods.

Update #2!!!!

Wow, i have to say i am very please. After my last report i changed the mounting spot of the tree. I have been very pleased with the results. It recorded 300 pictures and i also had changed the image quality to 10mp. I will admit, if you really want to be picky this camera could have a better IR quality shot, but to me it is plenty fine. The Day time pictures are great! The battery life has been awesome as well. Over all i am very pleased. I had probably 4-5 pictures with a blank frame, but i could care less. I am so pumped to tell you guys that i have pictures of animals AS THEY WALK into my frame. Not like the cuddeback slow trigger speed. I can tell which direction the animals are coming from!

If i would have had this camera earlier in the scouting season, i would have killed more animals this year. I set up with the wrong wind because i assumed that the animals were coming from one particular direction. As i changed mounting direction and used a camera with a trigger speed worth a darn, i learned i was set up completely wrong (hence why i wasnt doing well). This is one of those instances where this camera would have literally helped me kill more game.

I am now moving this camera to a different property due to some logistic issues, but i will continue to post updates as i learn more about this camera but as of now i am very pleased.