Crows..What to do?

FootLongDawg

We just completed planting all our food plots this past weekend. The second we would finish ::huh: one plot to go to another, crows would swoop down on the completed plots and begin eating our seed. I am not talking one or two here, more like at least ten at a time. Do the old scarecrows really work? Is there another or better way to get rid of these Mexican chickens? Or am I really worried about nothing?

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
I dont think crows would eat as much as turkey, even though the turkey raid our plots. they still come up ok.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
You could try tieing some aluminum pie plates in a way that the wind will blow them around all around the perimeter of the plots to help keep them out, though I doubt they will really eat enough to really make a big difference.

LKennamer

Crow repellent

I seem to remember a repellent that went by the name Crow-Tan (sp?) or something. It was just creosote in a can that you mixed with the seed to coat it (made a mess that you had to clean with gas or turpentine!). I remember using it back in the 80s to keep turkeys from digging up chufas right after they were planted. Anyone know if it is still around?

Wetzel

Try shooting a few of the crows and hanging them up in the field for the other crows to see. The crows will fly around them but will not land in the field. I do this every spring to keep the crows out of my corn patch until the corn gets big enough so the crows can't pull it up.