Suppressor Bill 2013 - SB 93

rjcruiser

You got a summary of what the bill does?

cephus91

You got a summary of what the bill does?

The Bill would allow you to hunt with a suppressor. It also adds a penalty of a three year hunting license suspension for anyone convicted of hunting without landowner permission, hunting in an area that is closed for hunting, or hunting big game out of season or at night with a firearm equipped with a suppressor.

New additions to O.C.G.A. 27-3-4 would be:

(a)(9) Any firearm otherwise authorized for use in the hunting or taking of game may be equipped with a suppressor, provided that the user is authorized to possess such suppressor and he or she has registered the suppressor in accordance with the dictates of the National Firearms Act, 68A Stat. 725 (26 U.S.C. Sections 5841-5862). For the purposes of this paragraph, the term 'suppressor' means any device for quieting or diminishing the report of any portable weapon such as a rifle, carbine, pistol, revolver, machine gun, shotgun, fowling piece, or other device from which a shot, bullet, or projectile may be discharged by an explosive.

(b) The hunting privileges of any person who has been convicted of violating the provisions of this title or any rule or regulation promulgated pursuant thereto by hunting without landowner permission, hunting in an area that is closed for hunting, or by hunting big game out of season or at night with a firearm equipped with a suppressor shall be suspended for three years.

I should have posted this in the Deer Hunting forum.

MuXi115

I wonder how many of the members here will oppose this again? I was pretty surprised at the amount of ignorance shown around here the last time this was brought up.

Let's hope this one passes!

rdhood

I wonder how many of the members here will oppose this again? I was pretty surprised at the amount of ignorance shown around here the last time this was brought up.

Let's hope this one passes!

I'm with you. Simply put, suppressors ought to be legal, non NFA items used... everywhere. It's a little bit corny, but ir a criminal wants to use a suppressor, there is nothing to stop him (he is, after all, a criminal!). Thus, suppressor laws only affect legal gun owners, and should not be NFA items.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
It's already legal. You can hunt predators at night with night vision.
My old ears hope it passes for daytime hunting.

Showman

Hope it passes also. Night Hunting for Hogs would benefit more from it than anything else (JMHO). Night hunting on WMA's would be nice to allow people to go get Hogs.

throwdown

Every year this bill gets crushed! I've been waiting years to be able to hunt with a suppressor, I don't think it will ever happen in Ga. To many people with to much power that just don't have a clue!

cephus91

The House of Representatives is the holdup. I am pasting below a quote that someone posted on another forum last year. SB-301 was last year's bill, basically the same as this year's.

"My GA State House rep. called me to let me know he spoke with Rep. Jon Burns this afternoon about the status of SB 301 in his House committee. Rep. Burns basically said that he doesn't want to have a committee vote on SB 301 because they don't have the votes for it to pass out of committee. They don't want to go on record as appearing anti-gun or anti-hunting, so they'd rather not be faced with taking a stand on the issue. Many of the committee members have concerns over poaching, trespassing,"

gtparts

This could be the best thing to happen to squirrel hunters since the .22 rimfire!

RamblinWreck

Call YOUR state senator and ask them to support the bill.

Anyone who thinks poachers would risk 10 years in Leavenworth to make a homemade suppressor, or would buy one ($$$) and pay the $200 tax, get LEO sign-off, wait 6+ months for the stamp to be approved, etc so they could poach deer, is delusional, or ignorant at best.

Last edited:

chadeugene

Call YOUR state senator and ask them to support the bill.

Anyone who thinks poachers would risk 10 years in Leavenworth to make a homemade suppressor, or would buy one ($$$) and pay the $200 tax, get LEO sign-off, wait 6+ months for the stamp to be approved, etc so they could poach deer, is delusional, or ignorant at best.

You are allowed to make homemade suppressors. You just have to get the tax stamp beforehand ;) I get what you are saying of course, just don't want people to think that they can't make their own.

Honestly though, why would anybody spend that much money on a suppressor to poach? It would be a whole lot cheaper to get into a hunting club or lease their own land.

captainhook

I had heard Burns himself was against the passage of this bill. Something to the effect that they had trouble with poachers on their property and felt it would encourage more poaching.
I would have voted against him in the last election based on this but he was the only one running for that seat.

captainhook

Emailed Burns yesterday and asked him to support it this time. Sent copy of my email to my friends and asked them to put their names on it and send it to him as well.
Please reach out to him and let him know that we want to hunt "hearing safe".

KingTiger

If I was going to poach, I would use a cross bow instead.

Much more quiet than any suppressed weapon I've ever heard.