Handgun or Musket?

Tio Hey Seuss

I was thinking about forgoing the rifle next year in exchange for either a handgun or a smooth bore muzzleloader.
A handgun would be nice since I tend to still hunt or stalk and it would be easier to tote around the mountains.
On the other hand, a double barrel smooth bore could be legally used to harvest every critter there's a season for in Georgia.
Anybody have experience hunting bear with a handgun or a musket?

Killer Kyle

I like Pappy's idea. Very manageable in the brush, and even at lower velocities, a 250 gr bullet packs a punch. That looks like a really fun option!

Killer Kyle

I really like Pappy's idea! Very manageable tool in the brush, and even at lower velocities, a 250 bullet packs a punch! Looks like a really fun option! I wanted to ask pappy, are you shooting 90grs powder? I thought I saw that somewhere. If so, I wanted to ask if it was for the purpose of recoil, accuracy, or just personal preference? Just curious. I just started dabbling in BP a little over a year ago and am still studying up on loads and projectiles and such things.

tree cutter 08

A good open sight 44 magnum would be a good challenge. Got a short barreled ruger that I'm gone carry some this year so well see.

660griz

A handgun for sure. Faster follow up shot...if needed.