Google earth on Astro 320

firewalker78

Hey fellas, hope all is well with your hunting so far. I am looking for info about updating my 320 to Google earth or birdseye.

ishootlittlebucks

I did it when I first got the alpha. Wasn't really impressed. The light had to be at 100% to see fairly well, which ate the battery. Also with the screen so small, it was hard to make out much detail. Of course, it was possibly just because it wasn't what I was used to. I would think it would be nice if you ysed the tablet thing they came out with now. It would stay plugged in anyway, and has a big screen.

Southernhoundhunter

I don't have it but will be getting it before long whenever I happen to remember to get a card while I'm in town. My buddy has it and loves it. You can estimate a lot better on where a deer is heading by seeing if the dogs are running a cutover edge, ditch line etc.

mikelowery9

I had it on my 320 and now have it on my alpha. Best thing they ever invented in my opinion, helps trying to explain to others on cb exactly where the dogs are.

DogHunter4Life

would not hunt without the birdseye. its awesome no doubt

ishootlittlebucks

http://www.thebuzzzardsroost.com/11-tablet-tracking-setup-for-garmin-by-gps-dawg/
I don't think there's a way around the subscription. You only have to pay it once. If you download all you want the first year, there'd be no reason to do it the second year, unless there are major changes to the property (clearcuts or whatever), or you change machines. I don't have it on mine now because I broke my original Alpha and had to send it back. Garmin doesn't fix your machine, they send you a refurbished one. Get a micro SD card and put the birdseye map on it. Otherwise it will fill up your machine fast. When I had mine, I had probably 150,000 acres on the card, and had room for more. If you buy it, just download all you hunt, and all you think you will hunt before the subscription runs out.

If all Y'all like it, I may give it a second shot. It might have just not been what I had been used to.

mikelowery9

Not 100% sure about the subscription. The unit has to be registered for sure to download birds eye to the handheld. It may be possible if someone has a subscription to register your device on their account and use their subscription to download the maps for you. I know a club that one guy handles all the maps for all handhelds but not sure if they have a subscription for each handheld or if he registers them all under his account. Safest way is to buy your subscription, download base camp, and download everything you think you could possibly need. Birds eye is hands down the best map you will ever use, takes dog hunting to another level when you have a Ariel view of your entire property. You will not regret it I assure you. When you can see a block your running and visually be able to tell where you put out standers and which one the dogs are headed too, makes for a higher kill rate and less time catching dogs. Well higher kill rate if your club uses handhelds or cb's and you have good shooters.