are crossbows stronger and fast then a compound bow

jasonftccrane

I have a 150 lbs horton cross bow and i was wondering if it is stronger and faster compared to my hoyt alpha max 32 , at 70 lbs draw , i guess my question is getting at is the 150 draw on the crossbow , and then the 70 lbs draw on my compound , are these measured the same or are they measured different because they are different types on bows .

oldenred

They are measured two ways, in f.p.s and in kenetic energy i.e. impact force. Not sure about your bow but my crossbow packs a much bigger punch than a compound bow. i'm shooting at around 350 f.p.s and 95 ft lbs of impact force. I have no problem taking a 40+yd shot on a deer.

Ohio Bob

A crossbow has a much shorter draw cycle than a compound and thus shorter bolts (and limbs) compared to Compounds with arrows. Generally speaking (yes there are "speed bows" in both catagories) they are measured equally. The extra lbs in a cross bow are needed to make up for the shorter travel of the string.

Both have equal limitations and require the same due diligance in practice and range estimating.

Skoal Brother

Crossbow is definatley faster and harder hitting. Shoot both at a target and see which one is buried deeper in the target after you shoot. I need to use two targets back to back when I shoot my Excalibur Exomax at anything under a 40 yard shot. Don't forget about the increase in accuracy with the crossbow as well.

solocam678

Yea some xbows are faster than most compounds. With an xbow your shooting bolts not arrows which are alot heavier. I don't think I agree with the increase in accuracy tho...that would be a matter of opinion.

j_seph

Had my horton drilling quarter size spot at 50yds several years ago.

j_seph

On a prop you can hold a lot more steady than a compound. However my high country brute force was shooting a little faster than the 175 express horton.

solocam678

I shoot dots also. Don't shoot tournaments like I use to but im gettin back into it next year. I know alot of guys bustin nocks at 50. That's why I say that's a matter of opinion.

j_seph

Dang if I could bust nocks with a compound at 50 I'd feel like a bully on the playground. LOL

hunter 84

Crossbows are faster and more accurate than a compound that's why they were illegal for so long.It takes more skill to shoot a bow and it's more of a challange so a crossbow is great for people who want to hunt but lack the skills,confidence or a handicap to shoot a regular bow.I think it's also a great way to introduce kids into the sport the more people we get into the woods the better of all of us hunters will be.

Skoal Brother

Crossbows are faster and more accurate than a compound that's why they were illegal for so long.It takes more skill to shoot a bow and it's more of a challange so a crossbow is great for people who want to hunt but lack the skills,confidence or a handicap to shoot a regular bow.I think it's also a great way to introduce kids into the sport the more people we get into the woods the better of all of us hunters will be.

Real hunters shoot long bows.

Compound bows take away from the true nature of bow hunting. A 280 fps bow with yardage pins & angle compensating range finders (attached to the bow) trigger release, stabilizers, string silencers, mechanical or broadhead 2" tips.

All of those modern advancements take away from the real experience of "Man vs Beast"

solocam678

Crossbows are faster and more accurate than a compound that's why they were illegal for so long.It takes more skill to shoot a bow and it's more of a challange so a crossbow is great for people who want to hunt but lack the skills,confidence or a handicap to shoot a regular bow.I think it's also a great way to introduce kids into the sport the more people we get into the woods the better of all f us hunters will be.

Wrong. I can't load it cuz I don't have an account. But get on youtube an search "compound bow vs crossbow".

I shoot dots also. Don't shoot tournaments like I use to but im gettin back into it next year. I know alot of guys bustin nocks at 50. That's why I say that's a matter of opinion.

there is a reason the pope and young club doesnt recognize crossbow kills......b/c its not real bow hunting. more accurate, scopes for low light ect.

Slasher

Doesn't matter how hard an arrow or bolt hit a deer... Unlike a gun, death comes from hemmoraging (blood loss)

As I was told back as a kid from an old timer back then... If you can take a conveniece store styrofoam cooler and punch thru both sides with a broadhead? You're good to kill a deer...

ALL YOU NEED IS 2 HOLES THRU 2 LUNGS!!!! Game over... 30# bow with a stinger and a heavy enough arrow will do the trick..

coondog96

there is a reason the pope and young club doesnt recognize crossbow kills......b/c its not real bow hunting. more accurate, scopes for low light ect.

whose to say hunting with a crossbow is not real bow hunting,pope and young were only men and they made the rules but they are only men.so if i go out and kill game with a sling shot does that give me the right to say YOU are not a real hunter cause you shoot with a long bow or a recurve or a compound?no i dont think so!off my horse now, have a good year HUNTINGcrossbow compound or slingshot what ever you choose to hunt with,good luck to all.

solocam678

Real hunters shoot long bows.

Compound bows take away from the true nature of bow hunting. A 280 fps bow with yardage pins & angle compensating range finders (attached to the bow) trigger release, stabilizers, string silencers, mechanical or broadhead 2" tips.

All of those modern advancements take away from the real experience of "Man vs Beast"

Kina off topic but Yea you rite. With the high power rifles...scents...cameras an all the other technology the wildlife doesn't have a chance. But I bet you don't think about that when you check your trail camera...to see what time the deer move in your area. Or look at that topo map an finding a spot with out having to actualy find a spot an locate the deer.

Last edited:

alligood729

I usually just jump out from behind a tree in my loincloth and hit them between the ears with a big rock......the heck with all this bow/gun/crossbow stuff.....:biggrin2::biggrin2::bounce::bounce:

solocam678

Lol...yea I quit using my spear with a rock shaped like an arrowhead tied at the end. Those high jumps out of trees are ruff on my knees.