ATV vs. 4WD Truck

Artfuldodger

Got some friends over in Bama that buy used Suzuki Samurai's and use them around camp. They're about as small as some of the bigger ATV's and they are weather proof and have heat. Will go about anywhere an atv will. Plus a used Samurai is about $4k cheaper than a new ATV.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention those things. I think most hunters just leave them at the hunt club instead of buying a tag and insurance as you suggested.

Some of those Samurai's are expensive with all of the mods. They make rock climber our of them too.

I just saw one of those Samurai's at the store. It was made into a hunting off road buggy. It was one of those with the half removable top. It was camouflaged, had big knobby tires, a nice winch, and a roll cage. It had a piece of pipe welded to the front bumper to from an angled extension. I guess for someone else to pull it out if it gets stuck. It had nice seats in it.
The seats, winch, and tires looked like they were worth more than the vehicle.

Last edited:

transfixer

Our club has gone to golf carts with lift kits and large tires. Amazing where these things will go. True, four wheelers will go places a cart can't, we have a couple for those chores. Electric carts are quiet and can haul heavy loads.

I just bought a 48volt cart a couple weeks ago, with new batteries fully charged the cart should have plenty of power for a two to three day weekend of hunting, unless you do a lot of joyriding. I'm loving the one I bought, its going to be my " stealth " hunting vehicle ,,, lol

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I will add this from years of experience; "There is nothing more useless than a 4WD truck with street tires and no winch."

Amen. A 4x4 without a winch will get one stuck farther away from asphalt than a 2WD without a winch. I learned this the hard way. I now have a Warn winch on the Warn hitch cradle kit, 10K lbs. capacity, 100' of Spyderwire rope and a 4x4 Sequoia wired for front and back 2" receivers.
I don't have aggressive mud tires, but with the winch, I get along without them. Gil

Dub

Back when I was in hunting clubs and leases I spent the money on utility trailers and ATV's.

Simplified things.

Public land and buddy's spots. Trailer and ATV were sold off years ago and I have room in my garage once again for other other stuff.

That being said....I'll always have a 4WD truck.

Drove home this morning from work.

12 miles of rolling hill interstate and 10 more miles of stop & go stoplights and neighborhoods to reach my house.

Not too shabby for a 4x4 that is my daily driver:

GunnSmokeer

Trailer ATV

I vote for the ATV and a trailer, to be towed behind your 2WD daily driving truck.

A 4x4 ATV is easier to drive though woods, narrow paths and fire breaks, and won’t get stuck in mud as easily as a 3500-lb. truck or SUV.

If you need to carry a lot of gear, consider one of those 4 -WD off road vehicles like the Gator that have a cargo bed.

Using a 4WD as your daily driving vehicle will cost you several hundred dollars in wasted gas, if you drive a lot. Long term repair costs are higher too.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
late 90's Cherokee jeeps are cheap, keep you warm and will go most anywhere you want to go. and that 4.0 inline 6 is doggone near bulletproof

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've hunted using swamp buggies, 3/4 ton 4/4's, ATV's and Mid size 4 x 4's. If you don't have deep water, a lifted golf cart will do most anything you want. I've added thin plywood front and back to help protect me from rain, and to help hide me if i want to wrap the cart with camo and use it for a blind. Comfortable, room for all your gear. For a small ice chest for food and drinks and had a roof over your head.

Attachments

• May18.jpg
    May18.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 78

weagle

Got some friends over in Bama that buy used Suzuki Samurai's and use them around camp. They're about as small as some of the bigger ATV's and they are weather proof and have heat. Will go about anywhere an atv will. Plus a used Samurai is about $4k cheaper than a new ATV.

I've used, Jeep cj7, 4x4 pickups, modified golf carts, 4 wheelers, 3 wheelers, and side x sides. I've got an old Suziki Samurai now and it beats them all.

$4000 will buy a nice one and they are dang near bullet proof. Also believe it or not, if you need a part they are cheap, readily available and the thing is as easy to work on as a lawn mower.

I leave mine at my cabin, but I drive it town often.

7lHXSVJ.jpg

SlowMotion

Nice Samurai Weagle. They are cool little vehicles.

ryanh487

As someone who has owned a jeep wrangler for 8 years and also driven around electric golf carts, four wheelers, and UTV's on the same rutted up muddy roads at our hunt camp, I can tell you the following:

-For up front cost and practicality, a jeep is a great buy
-For comfort, convenience, and ease of maintenance a UTV is worth the cash

I'm currently saving to buy a new truck, sell my jeep, and buy a UTV. When it's really muddy out and the roads are too slick to slow down appropriately when passing over/around deep ruts, the jeep will beat you half to death. The UTV goes around it with no problem. The UTV will also fit on a single bushhog pass wide trail without issue, and when you do have to run over something rough the independent front and rear suspension is a major spine savor.

buckmanmike

I have several tracts of land spread out up to 10 miles apart. I use my daily driver 4x4 f150 to get to properties and electric cart to cruise around. Need the 4x4 truck on the dirt roads after heavy rains.
Golf carts need lift kits, at tires and high amp controllers to do the job.

Darkhorse

I've hunted using swamp buggies, 3/4 ton 4/4's, ATV's and Mid size 4 x 4's. If you don't have deep water, a lifted golf cart will do most anything you want. I've added thin plywood front and back to help protect me from rain, and to help hide me if i want to wrap the cart with camo and use it for a blind. Comfortable, room for all your gear. For a small ice chest for food and drinks and had a roof over your head.

Nice looking carbine in the front seat. I assume it's a Ruger .44 Auto? Don't see many of those anymore.
I've got one with a Aimpoint SC1000 in .44 Mag. And a matching Ruger .22 also.
That little .44 makes a good rifle for a lot of the thick Georgia woods. Nice and light.

Attachments

• May18.jpg
    May18.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 63