New to the Athens/Oconee area

GrappleBox

Hello all,

My name is Dave, I’m semi retired and recently relocated to Bishop GA, from South Florida, with my wife and five kids and love it here. I’ve hunted hog in Florida but don’t consider myself a hunter. What is missing here for us is a place to shoot, outside of an indoor range. Back in Florida we have the Everglades. Are there any such areas safe to target shoot outside of a range in the Athens/Oconee area? Mostly handgun calibers and .22 for the oldest daughter and wife. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave,

JackSprat

You can shoot on national forest land that is outside of a WMA. Probably a little more than an hour to the nearest such land to the south. You will need to consult a good map to make sure you are outside the WMA boundaries.

Chattahoochee NF is to your north, a little further away, same WMA restrictions.

There is a very nice outdoor shooting range at the Charlie Elliot facility in Social Circle, which is 45 min - 1 hr. from you. You have to pay a small fee, or have a hunting/fishing license. Overall a nice facility if you have children because there is a public fishing area there also.

Lots of people in Oconee County have their own private ranges, so you just have to ask around.

If you live in the Clarke County part of Bishop, just know that the whole Clarke County system is very anti-gun. You can do stuff in Oconee County that will not even be noticed, but will definitely get you hassled in Clarke County.

GrappleBox

Thanks for your reply. I’m in Lane Creek so definitely Oconee county. Know of any local forums or shooting organizations?

JackSprat

Don't really know of any local forums.

Athens Rifle Club has a nice range, but rifle is membership only. The membership fee is pretty reasonable. Their membership year starts about now. Membership may be closed, you will have to check. It has a 50 yard .22 range and a 200 yard rifle range (where you can shoot .22) No real forum. Lots of club level competitions, that usually are open to anyone. https://athensrifleclub.com/

GSSA is the Ga. NRA affiliate, they have a pretty good page. No "forum" like this one. http://www.gssainc.org/

panfish

ONF.. good place to go to be alone to shoot. I go often.. We went yesterday. We was there about 6 hrs. Seen 1 car. Take a folding table and chairs. You have your own range.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Georgia Dave and crew !!!!

Maybe you could talk the Lane Creek Golf folks into letting y’all shoot on one of the fair ways :biggrin2:

Google this site. It is about 30 miles or so from you. They are primarily a riding destination but they have outdoor shooting too. Of course there is a fee.
It’s a good place to get your ATV muddy as well.

Durhamtown.

GrappleBox

ONF.. good place to go to be alone to shoot. I go often.. We went yesterday. We was there about 6 hrs. Seen 1 car. Take a folding table and chairs. You have your own range.
Where about in ONF Panfish, I’ve driven though it once or twice since moving here but am unfamiliar with the territory.