food plots

Glynr

The loggers are gone tomorrow and loader coming to clean up. Then I will get lime truck asap. What to plant?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I'd plant a sub-soiler first and get some of that compaction broken up. Then get the lime worked into the ground and after that, you could give alyce clover a try. That's what I planted after the loggers left and it did tolerate the more acidic soil.

It gave me something to cover the soil with, till the fall, when I planted oats and crimson clover there the first year.

shdw633

I would be more incline to go with Sunn Hemp. Not only will be feeding your deer but would help rebuild the soil in that area for your fall planting.

sghoghunter

I would be more incline to go with Sunn Hemp. Not only will be feeding your deer but would help rebuild the soil in that area for your fall planting.

How much is the sun hemp where you get yours? I looked on Hancock seed and it was real high but I ordered a bag of buckwheat and I asked about sun hemp and he said $40 I believe for 50 lb

Forest Grump

How much is the sun hemp where you get yours? I looked on Hancock seed and it was real high but I ordered a bag of buckwheat and I asked about sun hemp and he said $40 I believe for 50 lb

Look again: Hancock has it for 55$/50# (63% off); you only need plant 15#/acre, mix with ICP’s to encourage deer browsing if you are not just soil-building.

sghoghunter

Look again: Hancock has it for 55$/50# (63% off); you only need plant 15#/acre, mix with ICP’s to encourage deer browsing if you are not just soil-building.

I may have the price of chicory stuck in my head. The place where I buy my dogfood told me $40 for a bag. Thinking about getting some and plant the sides of some of the roads and throw some in the plots

shdw633

Where ever you plant Sunn Hemp you need to keep an eye on it to make sure you don't let it grow too high as it becomes very hard to work back into the soil due to the stalks. If the deer don't mow it down you should periodically. I always watch Hancock for when they have it on sale.

shdw633

I see no advantage/ benefit in growing sun hemp vs other soil builders/ protein providers. Jmo

Why? And what other soil builders/protein plantings do you feel is better for the money?