How reliable is the AR-15?

rosewood

I believe I would have had more eye protection than those puny glasses, maybe face protection as well. Guy is a lot "braver" than I am.

Just wondering how he was able to get a flat top full auto receiver to do this test with. Guessing they have the appropriate license to possess one? Pretty sure a civilian cannot own one.

Rosewood

wareagle700

I believe I would have had more eye protection than those puny glasses, maybe face protection as well. Guy is a lot "braver" than I am.

Just wondering how he was able to get a flat top full auto receiver to do this test with. Guessing they have the appropriate license to possess one? Pretty sure a civilian cannot own one.

Rosewood

The lower is the machine gun, you can put whatever upper on you want. And yes, they borrow most of the full auto stuff for these videos. Civilians can own one, just depends on how deep their pockets are.

ryanh487

I don't think I would have risked a $25,000 irreplaceable machine gun receiver just to destroy a few hundred dollar upper for youtube views...

rayjay

One of my pet peeves is people that chamber a round with the muzzle pointed off in space.

wareagle700

I don't think I would have risked a $25,000 irreplaceable machine gun receiver just to destroy a few hundred dollar upper for youtube views...

For the manufacturer (owner) with the appropriate license it would be easy to replace as you just build or convert a new one.

I don't think the guns they are testing are privately owned machine guns. They are borrowed from someone who has a license to build / convert them. They explain where they come from in one of their meltdown videos. Maybe quiet riot in McDonough? I can't remember.

rosewood

The lower is the machine gun, you can put whatever upper on you want. And yes, they borrow most of the full auto stuff for these videos. Civilians can own one, just depends on how deep their pockets are.

I am aware of that. However, if I am not mistaken, a civilian cannot purchase/own a newly manufactured class 3 full auto receiver. All full auto weapon had to be manufactured before 1986. Being it is a flat-top, I suspect it is newly manufactured. I do not think they made flat-tops back then.

Rosewood

ryanh487

I am aware of that. However, if I am not mistaken, a civilian cannot purchase/own a newly manufactured class 3 full auto receiver. All full auto weapon had to be manufactured before 1986. Being it is a flat-top, I suspect it is newly manufactured. I do not think they made flat-tops back then.

Rosewood

the flattop part is the upper receiver. You can put any AR15 or M4/M16 upper receiver on a registered pre-86 m16 lower.

You can also put a registered drop in auto sear in any AR15, as the sear is the machine gun.

wareagle700

Rosewood

A civilian, who pays the fees for the license to be a manufacturer of machine guns and other Class 3 items, can do so. As said above, the upper receiver being a flat top has nothing to do with the age or legality of the machine gun.

In that particular video, I don't know if they used a RDIAS, lightning link, or complete new/used M16 lower. However, I do think they are smart enough to source a machine gun that wouldn't put them at risk for ruining a $20K+ firearm.