Clayton County back when!!!

I saw this on Facebook and I figured I'd start one here! How many on here lived, grew up, or still live in Clayton County??? I was born in Tampa, parents moved to Jonesboro when I was 4....lived in Jonesboro till I was 22....my parents(mother was born in Fayette, raised in Clayton, now lives in White) now live in Cleveland, GA. and I live in Hoschton! but the point of this thread is...."You know you are from Clayton County if you remember....." fill in the blanks....I have a few....Clayton County International Park was Indian Lakes, the Riverdale Theater off 138 was "the best theater", Southlake Mall was the only "good one" on the southside, it's TARA BLVD. not 19-41....a drive in the country was driving through Henry County, Flint River was actually clean place to fish, 138 between Jonesboro and Stockbridge was 2 lane!!!

oh man!!! and remember Turtle's and the stamps, Lucky's Lake, and Fun Putt!!!!!

josey wales

I grew up in Ellenwood (Henry Co.), but if we went anywhere it was to Forest Park. My mom would grocery shop at the A&P, and the Old Dixie skating rink was a regular hang-out.

Sweetwater

Lion Country Safari. I'm a Douglas co. boy, but my mom's best friend lived in Jonesboro. I also remember when Clayton co. schools were considered good.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Yeap, I was born at clayton General, not southern regional, moved to henry county when I was four and moved to high falls when I was 23. When high falls gets over run with gangsta's I guess I will moove further south. My grandpa still lives in clayton county. any way, Back in the day we would shop at A&P, fish at tara lake, Ride our gokarts at tara stadium parking lot.We used to go and get my grandparents precriptions from pete's across the street from A&P. It is ashamed to say the least what has happened to clayton and henry county.

Dixie Dawg

I lived in Jonesboro in the late 70's early 80's and we went to Indian Lake all the time.... thought we were cool when we could swim out to the concrete thing in the middle of it, and it had these tiny little fish that would bite your legs when you least expected it :bounce: Sour cream & onion potato chips and Bob Seger can still take me back there, even 30something years later :D

I also spent many days/evenings at the skating rink.... wish I were still that coordinated :rofl: :rofl:

oh man I forgot mattech!!! you know you are from Clayton County if you learned to drive your first car in the Tara Stadium Parking Lot!!! a couple more...Lovejoy HS. in the 90's was the bumpkin school!!! LOL not anymore!!!...the best one for all the Flint River huntin' and fishin' folks is...you know you are from Clayton County if you know that the Flint River starts from a Hartsfield retention pond!

trents99

Parents moved to Clayton when I was 2 back in '76. Things I remember Little Ceasars on Tara Blvd across from the old Winn Dixie. Riding dirt bikes up and down Panhandle with no worries. Before they built all the roads in/out to the Raceway we'd have bumper to bumper traffic on lower Panhandle Rd for a hour or two. Living so far out in the sticks we couldn't get cable TV until the early '90s because there weren't enough customers our way to support it. Fishing the Flint by what is now River's Edge. Sneaking into JW Smith before it was opened and catching big bass off the banks. Southway was our hang out spot as soon as we were old enough to drive. The 24 hour gym on Tara Blvd used to be West Lumber and was pretty much the only game in town. Summer days spent at Tara Beach begging my mom to buy Snickers and snow cones.

Still here 30+ years later but don't know for how much longer.

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
here's a hint. while you still can, sell your house and move up here to cleveland, in white county. the town is still dry. [no booze] 3 traffic lights in all. it's still mayberry.

BIGABOW

grew up in Marlboro Sub.in Jon'buh 1969-1992. many a day on a skateboard riding down Huntington hill, and in the spring/summer runnin the Flint River fishin and such.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
here's a hint. while you still can, sell your house and move up here to cleveland, in white county. the town is still dry. [no booze] 3 traffic lights in all. it's still mayberry.

Your doing the same exact thing to Cleveland that was done to Clayton county.........:banginghe

jmar28

Best times I've had was at the Tilt in Southlake Mall.

Pistol

Crusin' the Home Depot in Forest Park.....man , those were the days!

Strych9

I can't add to the "good ol days" of Clayton County, but I work for CCFD, and I can tell you first hand...those streets are scary!

you know you are from Clayton County if you KNOW that Deans is the best BBQ in the State and Mo-Joes is the best wings in the State

remember when Jonesboro would shut down for opening season of JAAA baseball...I played from t-ball to 15-16! AND.....remember in the 80's and early 90's....T&T meats...best deer cooler in the area!!! there would be a line up and down lee street during doe days!

snake bite

Don't forget about Morrow skate palace. Mr. Huff would always say "alright boys lets slooooooow it down" I was in the first graduating class of Mt. Zion High school. Things sure changed! I played baseball at rex park from t-ball through 15-16. I put MANY a mile on an 83 trans am cruzin between southway and baby superstore. I remember racing on grant road.