Train`n wounded deer tracking dogs

molly

Usually when it gets close to deer season alot of folks start looking for a pup to train to track wounded deer. If you are interest in a pup this is the time of year to get one and strat train`n. Tanner 63 will have some new Beagle/Walker pups ready around the last of April. Beagle/Walkers is the dog to have to track a wounded deer...give him a call @ 478 494 4505...I will be glad to help in anyway to train your pup.

Attachments

• Billy.jpg
    Billy.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 1,988

Mako22

BANNED
Actually a hound is not the best kind of dog to trail a wounded deer with. The reason is that when a hound trails he will howl which will drive the wounded deer (if it's still alive) further into the woods making for a longer trailing job.

molly

Hound

Actually a hound is not the best kind of dog to trail a wounded deer with. The reason is that when a hound trails he will howl which will drive the wounded deer (if it's still alive) further into the woods making for a longer trailing job.
You need to come this deer and watch my 68lb full blood walker track a deer and bay if he is still alive....he will bark when the trail get hot and he really barks when he has him bayed. Three of my dogs are crossed with hound.....they are some of the best tracking dogs around...they deer if they can be found....a friend of mine in South Ga. had a beagle/walker mixed and was one of the best

ronbigdog1

You need to come this deer and watch my 68lb full blood walker track a deer and bay if he is still alive....he will bark when the trail get hot and he really barks when he has him bayed. Three of my dogs are crossed with hound.....they are some of the best tracking dogs around...they deer if they can be found....a friend of mine in South Ga. had a beagle/walker mixed and was one of the best
Who me I had one of the best Ive ever seen his name was "JAKE" half beagle and walker ,low swung loud mouth slow walker he would walk two steps and bellow and repeat you could walk behind him ,a new neibor moved in two houses down and poisoned my whole pen 14 in all 25 in a one mile area hated dogs and cats and kids.:shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::smash::smash::smash::crazy::hammers::yeah:

grouper throat

None of my deer dogs give mouth on a leash while blood trailing. I also prefer a dog that will run a wounded buck down and catch/bay him which I've never seen any breed besides a hound do.

rvick

None of my deer dogs give mouth on a leash while blood trailing. I also prefer a dog that will run a wounded buck down and catch/bay him which I've never seen any breed besides a hound do.

Molly was talkin' 'bout my Bob dog, the only problem with him on track was you couldn't carry on a conversation because of his barking. He pulled so hard on the tracking lead that I had to wrap it around my back. Went thru 3 pairs of good gloves every season. He would get just as close to a wounded deer before it jumped as my silent dog does now.
Had a Catahoula that would run a wounded deer down & catch/bay, & now have a Kemmer Mt. Cur that will run a wounded deer down & catch/bay it (all 40 lbs. of her).

Scoutman

got a german bred jagd last year and he found 8 this year and 4 others that were not fatally hit(helped us determine that). He is a gamey little dog and easy to keep. I'll take any tips on bloodtrailing you want to offer.I hope to be able to help others find deer this year.

castaway

I hunt with a guy who has a walker that wont say anything while he is tracking a wounded deer but when he finds it and if its still alive you will hear it the cause all heck will break loose.

grouper throat

Molly was talkin' 'bout my Bob dog, the only problem with him on track was you couldn't carry on a conversation because of his barking. He pulled so hard on the tracking lead that I had to wrap it around my back. Went thru 3 pairs of good gloves every season. He would get just as close to a wounded deer before it jumped as my silent dog does now.
Had a Catahoula that would run a wounded deer down & catch/bay, & now have a Kemmer Mt. Cur that will run a wounded deer down & catch/bay it (all 40 lbs. of her).

Cool, I would like to see a Cat. or kemmer blood dog. I did have one dog that would get real excited and started giving mouth at first blood and I would have to remind him with a tug on the leash that he needs to be in semi-silent mode;).

Ever since I trained my dogs with shock collars I no longer have to use a leash to trail a bloody deer and it's saved a great deal of aggravation-it might work for you too? I had one of my dogs years ago drag me through a thicket where I needed to be on my hands and knees. After we found the buck my arms looked like I had been attacked by a wildcat from being drug through that place:D

Luke0927

bird dog in my avatar tracks my deer

rvick

Scoutman,
Where'd you get your jagd & how old is it? My friend in N.Y. state is looking for a well bred Jagdterrier pup to track with. He takes over 60 calls a year. The best advice I can give about training a pup to track is to buy John Jeanenney's book, Tracking Dogs For Finding Wounded Deer.

Scoutman

rvick,
Got my jagd from knitehunt kennel in Mo.He has been very intelligent and is fearless. He is almost a year and a half. I already have John's book(I considered one of his dogs before I decided on a jagd). I saw your reference in his book also. So far my jagd has run rabbits, runs and trees coons with plott hounds and will help bay a hog.I use him primarily as a blood dog and hope to help others with him.

molly

Tracking wounded deer

I hope everyone that has a tracking dog and would track for hunters ...contact GON and get on the tracking list....I had a time getting someone in other counties to track deer...networking is what we have to do....Some of us can`t run all over the state when we have more than we can handle in our areas....Go to my web-site and email me if you want to be on the list and I`ll have someone to contact you. www.deertracking.us

molly

Time to start train`n a dog

R-Vick has three dogs and he is ready to track this coming season, and I have four dogs and I stay ready to track....sometimes I have to go get Molly to find a wound coyote....

wildlands

A.J. they can also send me a P.M. and I will add them to the list I have up in the sticky part. It needs updating so if somone needs to come off or be added just shot me a p.m. or email me at ken@hillockkennels.com

I agree about the networking having a couple of guys in the area that you can toss calls back and forth works good to make sure that calls get covered. But there is the times when we are all out or not available it just happens sometimes. I have the new pup working 20 hr tracks so he should be ready to go next year just hope I get enough calls to keep two dogs in shape.

Mr.MainFrame10

Nice buck in the photo. Having a dawg that can track is definitely beneficial.

rvick

scoutman,
tim says he already was in contact with the jones? at nitehunt kennels, says they have some fine dogs. thanx. what is the oldest track he has done?

Scoutman

rvick,
Most of them were not older than 2-4 hours. One was almost 6hrs.He is young so I was happy with how he handled himself.I try to lay him a couple of trails each month to keep his mind on it. I also put blood in his food every week or so.Knitehunt kennel advised me to put blood in his food and to trust his instincts.I hope to put him on at least 20 this season.