Didn't realize what I could pull off with the new combo; Hummers

GAJoe

Had a blast Sunday afternoon at a hummer garden that the president of a local photo club has. Hadn't tried anything this fast of a paced yet. Most shots were 5 to 10 feet with my 100-400mmII at 400mm. I'd have to stop and shake the blood back in my hands and stretch 'em. A feeder is easy, this was all over the place. I just had to make my self leave. I don't see how he hasn't gone through his 200K shutter counts.

Attachments

• _O2A7867.jpg
    _O2A7867.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 189
  • _O2A8085.jpg
    _O2A8085.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 188
  • _O2A8090.jpg
    _O2A8090.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 189
  • _O2A7897.jpg
    _O2A7897.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 188
  • _O2A8096red.jpg
    _O2A8096red.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 188

GAJoe

Got a few portraits also. The perch was about 10 ft away.

Attachments

• _O2A7803.jpg
    _O2A7803.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 189
  • _O2A8015.jpg
    _O2A8015.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 188
  • _O2A8064.jpg
    _O2A8064.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 192

LOVEMYLABXS

WOW those are super fine :cool:

GAJoe

Thanks!

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Awesome shots.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
You have a real knack for photoing hummers. You may be aware of these resources already, but they will alert you to sightings of rare hummers that come through Georgia in the fall and winter.

http://www.gahummer.org/
http://www.gos.org/georgia-birders-online

Here in the Georgia lowcountry I have wintered Rufous and Black Chinned. A local had a regular Calliope and there have been sightings of Magnificents. In Dublin, a Green-Breasted Mango hummer wintered. These would be great for you to "capture" with your camera. Most folks are willing to allow visitors to observe these rare birds in their yards. Keep up the good work. Hummers do love the Scarlet Crocosmia in your photo, but if anyone intends to plant it, bear in mind that it is highly invasive and needs border restraint or it will take over your yard. ;) Gil

PS: The Georgia Hummer's site doesn't look actively managed. It may be that the management was by the deceased Buddy Rowe who is memorialized on the site. The activity may have also shifted over to FB which is linked at the site.

Last edited:

rip18

Good ones! Thanks for sharing! The peak hummer photo opp time of the year is almost upon us!

wvdawg

Staff member
You are getting some great mileage out of that new set-up. Fantastic shots.

GAJoe

Thanks for the kind comments!
Been outa town a couple days.