Surprise subject

rip18

I was out shooting some bug shots last week, when a damselfly sped by & then lit nearby. I followed him around for a bit trying to get a shot.

I finally got ONE shot of him on a fern (see below), when he suddenly flitted off. I knew that I didn't scare him. I looked up, and just the other side of the fern was a dog-gone trash panda that had come out to scarf down some muscadines...

All I had was my 200 mm macro lens, but he still got so close that I couldn't fit all of him into the frame! He looked healthy & everytime I moved quickly, he scampered off into the brush before coming back out. He finally got his bate of bullaces and went back into the swamp.

I never did find the dog-gone little damselfly again either...

Damselfly - Nikon D3, Nikkor 200 mm micro, f/14, 1/40th second, ISO 200, off-camera fill flash, tripod, slight crop.

Raccoon - Nikon D3, Nikkor 200 mm micro, f/14, 1/100th second, ISO 1250, off-camera fill flash, tripod, slight crop.

Attachments

• 5466BFDancerWebCrGon.jpg
    5466BFDancerWebCrGon.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 396
  • 5499RaccoonGrapeWebCrGON.jpg
    5499RaccoonGrapeWebCrGON.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 394

wvdawg

Staff member
Dog-gone good shots! Love the bonus opportunity!

carver

Fine shots Robert

GAJoe

Nice images. It's funny how some times the damsels and dragons will let you get up close but not usually.

pdsniper

great shots and I'm still laughing at what you called the coon a trash Panda its been a long time since I have heard any one call one that and it's still funny