Bullet Corrosion

Rabun

Wasn't sure where to post this so will start here.

I have a couple of leather shell carriers and after extended storing in these cases, I get this corrosion on the brass. It appears to be some sort of reaction between the brass and leather that produces a sticky residue on the brass. Is there something I can coat the brass or leather with to prevent this, or just not store shells long term in leather carriers?

Thanks!

Attachments

• bullet corrosion.JPG
    bullet corrosion.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 199

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I use the same carriers and get the same discoloration.
I've never had an issue with cartridges performing in my bolt guns.
They're just not pretty.
Can't speak to use in semi's.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Barney used to polish his bullet. Doing this at intervals would keep the brass looking good but it won't make it shoot any better.

Rabun

Get nickel plated brass ...

This corrosion was the reason nickel brass was made ...

With all the issues i've been hearing about core lokt's not firing, looks like I need to find new ammo anyway. What brand do you recommend with nickel brass casings?

Rabun

Barney used to polish his bullet. Doing this at intervals would keep the brass looking good but it won't make it shoot any better.

That's pretty much what i've been doing...just didn't want that green gunk in the chamber. Sounds like I just don't need to store in the leather holders.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Same here. It goes bangbang. Just a cosmetic issue.

BriarPatch99

As far as the nickel brass ... there are several cartridges that are available in nickel brass ... not sure if your's is one of them ... I don't think you said what your cartridge is ...

The regular cleaning idea is probably the best solution...

Anvil Head

Other than gumming up the chamber, no big issue (old 742 were a bit persnickity about dirty cases). Don't know why you'd want to store shells long term in leather anyway.
Just don't lick the "green", it's called verdi gras and is somewhat toxic. One of the reasons one should not use brass fittings like guards on food processing cutlery.

tad1

Those bullets are likely as good as the day they were born. Now go kill a nice deer! (Go ahead and wipe them off a bit)

Rabun

As far as the nickel brass ... there are several cartridges that are available in nickel brass ... not sure if your's is one of them ... I don't think you said what your cartridge is ...

The regular cleaning idea is probably the best solution...

they are /core lokt's....yup sounds like just need to not store in leather carriers.

Thanks guy's

rosewood

Get nickel plated brass ...

This corrosion was the reason nickel brass was made ...

Yep! Have a NAA .22mag I used to carry in my pocket, pulled it open one day and found corrosion on the brass, had to hunt to find nickel plated brass. Finally found Hornady critical defense that was nickel plated. No issues after that.

rosewood

I beg to defer about not being an issue. I found some 30-06 brass that my father-in-law had, that had corrosion. I decided to shoot to get rid of and had at least 2 of them split open. Didn't hurt gun, but not a good thing regardless. Have pictures of them somewhere.

Rosewood