Electric Buggy

Triple C

Beagler282 said:
I've had several different carts. Club car gas operated. 2 Bad boy buggies. 1 was total electric and the other gas/electric. Stay away from Bad boy buggies. I've since bought a EZGO RXV 2 yrs ago. It was completely refurbished to new. It has been everything we wanted out of a cart. Keep water level right in the batteries and keep charged it will never give you problems. Probably get 15-20 miles on a charge. I would suggest trying to get a 2012 or newer. They have the most recent upgrades to give you speed and torque. If you plan on using in the woods I certainly recommend the lift kit. SWAMPFOX not sure where you live but I purchased mine from a guy in Madison,GA that refurbishes the carts with new everything. He built mine just the way I wanted it. Look up Cool carts in Madison GA. Bob can fix you up with a nice RXV.

I think the general rule of you get what you pay for probably applies to electric buggies. I bought one similar to you...EZGO RXV that was basically a new cart except for the body. Upgraded electronics, suspension, wiring, etc. 4WD, 2 speed tranny, locking rear differential. Runs 20 mph in high and think it would climb a tree in low gear if wheels didn't spin. Run around in it all day at the farm and plug it in at night. Watkinsville Golf Carts built mine and it's been a beast of a cart. But they ain't cheap.

The reason I like it so much is not for the stealth but rather the fact that I never have to buy gas, worry about engine repairs or not starting. As for stealth...I've yet to "sneak up" on a deer or a squirrel for that matter. They always hear me coming before I see them unless they're a long way off in a field. Even the electrics make noise that animals detect when they're close.
Cart.jpg

Cart front.jpg

SWAMPFOX

Hybrids?

I'm beginning to look at some type of hybrid. I can't say I've heard glowing reports about Bad Boy Buggies. Lotta negative on a number of outdoor forums and sites regarding BBB.

However, I've heard some good things about a company in Texas that produces a hybrid. The company is HuntVe and their Switchback hybrid appears interesting.

Anybody here got any input...good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks.

transfixer

You do get what you pay for, at least with electric carts, which is all I have experience with, if you take a stock cart and simply put a lift and tires on it, without upgrading anything else, and try to use it offroad you won't be satisfied, and it likely won't last long without something giving you problems, but if you upgrade all the battery and power cables, from stock which is usually 6ga, upgrade them to 2ga , upgrade the stock solenoid to a higher amp heavy duty one, and upgrade your controller to something in the 400 to 500amp range , it should serve you well, Battery choice and amps play a big part as well, for instance 6-8volt batteries will last longer than 4-12volt batteries, most 8volt batteries are 165amp hour rating, but now you can find 190amp hour for a few dollars more, giving you longer run time. You can also hurt the performance and run time by installing tires larger than you need for your intended purpose, unless you plan on using the cart in soft wet areas, or muddy areas, a 4wd cart isn't necessary, and will only weigh more and give you more things to wear out at some point.

ucfireman

I have been looking on Craigslist. Lots of carts for sale not too bad in price. My place is low and I would like a 4wd battery operated.
I haven't been to a dealer to look but I don't ever see any 4wd unless they are a bad boy buggy.
Is there a 4wd EZ GO RXV? or is it a conversion? What bout the motors? Will they short out is they get wet?
Never thought about an electric till now but I'm tired of gummed up carbs etc.
As far as batteries, I saw above 8 volt vs 12 volt. Others thoughts?

transfixer

I have no experience with 4wd Badboy buggies, but everything I've read makes me want to stay away from them, as far as water on the motors, I've been told its best not to get the motor submerged in water, water splashing on it is okay, but not getting them underwater. If the cart is lifted and you have bigger tires, the motor is probably a good 11 or 12 inches off the ground, the roads on my club are sometimes muddy, but not standing in water, so I haven't had to worry about that.

As far as batteries, supposedly 6 eight volt batteries will give you longer run time than 4 twelve volts, it has to do with the storage capacity of the cells, basically the heavier the battery pack, the more cells you have, the more storage you have, unless you get into the lithium packs, and they are big $

ucfireman

Looked at "the BEAST 48" web site. Looks like a nice set up. Anybody have one? Any comments good or bad? Anyone know price range?

Buford_Dawg

Santa brought me some upgrades for my cart

Updated the cart with Mud Flaps, Front basket and a LED bar. Santa was good to me. Brought it home from hunting camp and cleaned it up good as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 113

rjcruiser

Those mud flaps will be handy when rolling through the neighborhood and hitting some moisture in the road. Keep the back of your shirt from getting muddy.

Very nice cart!