Interested in smithing/blade making.

StriperrHunterr

As is the case, I imagine, with a bunch of other people recently, I've become a Forged in Fire fanatic.

Here's what I know, A) they don't show the whole process like annealing or tempering, and B) this is an expensive and can be a dangerous hobby/vocation.

I know there's at least one knife making group that I was pointed to via a contact I made on Facebook and at the show that was up at Jaemor farms last weekend. Pic is of me at the show with one of the FiF contestants that I had just watched the episode of the night before, and that was a really cool surprise to walk into. My wife has also gotten me a gift certificate for an Intro to Blacksmithing event that's a few hours on one day but they're booked up all the way into next year so I don't know when that's going to happen.

My question is, is there anyone in the Hall county area that is a blacksmith/knife maker that would be willing to host my wife and I to get some information, watch you do some work, and whatever else you'd be okay with us trying our hand at? We would not expect this to be free and can compensate for time and materials, just let us know what you would desire.

I'm really interested in this becoming a hobby/side venture for myself, but I know enough to know that I don't know enough to just go out and try to buy tools and equipment, and they're expensive, and to try to, pun intended, hammer my way through it without some guidance.

Mods, if this post isn't proper for this area, I apologize.

Attachments

• Blade show 1.jpg
    Blade show 1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 166

Anvil Head

"Expensive" is a very relative term. Just like fishing a very wide spectrum based on commitment, skills, and resources.
Great pic of you with my good friend Paul, he's very talented. I think we talked a bit during the show as well.
My suggestion would be to get a few books on the subject to get a little perspective (not show hype) on what bladesmithing really involves - your question(s) show you understand there is a good bit more to it than can be seen on TV. It just doesn't require all that "Equipment/tools/etc." to get started and enjoy the art.
I'd recommend reading "The $50 Knife Shop" by Wayne Goddard, "The Complete Bladesmith" by Dr. Jim Hirsoula (SP), and a few generics on blacksmithing (try the ABANA website for recommendations and some interesting online reading).
FiF has really slammed my classes and I am booked into next March, but there are several bladesmiths out there that can possibly help you get started in the right direction. Just keep it simple and learn basics with simple tools the rocket surgery will be easier to understand and learn with the basics under your belt. Begin with good simple hi-carb steels that are forgiving to the beginner and leave the advanced finicky stuff for later.

StriperrHunterr

"Expensive" is a very relative term. Just like fishing a very wide spectrum based on commitment, skills, and resources.
Great pic of you with my good friend Paul, he's very talented. I think we talked a bit during the show as well.
My suggestion would be to get a few books on the subject to get a little perspective (not show hype) on what bladesmithing really involves - your question(s) show you understand there is a good bit more to it than can be seen on TV. It just doesn't require all that "Equipment/tools/etc." to get started and enjoy the art.
I'd recommend reading "The $50 Knife Shop" by Wayne Goddard, "The Complete Bladesmith" by Dr. Jim Hirsoula (SP), and a few generics on blacksmithing (try the ABANA website for recommendations and some interesting online reading).
FiF has really slammed my classes and I am booked into next March, but there are several bladesmiths out there that can possibly help you get started in the right direction. Just keep it simple and learn basics with simple tools the rocket surgery will be easier to understand and learn with the basics under your belt. Begin with good simple hi-carb steels that are forgiving to the beginner and leave the advanced finicky stuff for later.

Carl, we did indeed speak at the show, and I appreciate the information you provided then as well as your post in here.

Thank you very much for the reading suggestions I will absolutely be purchasing them or asking for them for gifts this holiday season.

I'm still planning on attending the hammer-in, providing nothing critical comes up that prevents me, and I'm chomping at the bit for the class that my wife gifted to me for my birthday.