Gordon County 8 from the ladder!

TMeadows45

Had a short hunt and first time experience this past Thursday. Walked into the woods shortly after daylight after dropping off my daughter at daycare. I slowly made my way toward my stand. Ended up jumping a doe up on the way in and watched her as she crossed the clear cut for a few minutes to make sure a buck wouldnt start tailing her. A few minutes pass and I decide to continue towards my stand. So I finally make it to the base of the ladder to my box stand, I get half way up the ladder and catch movement to my left. I look over and see 2 young bucks sparring so I freeze and watch them about 10 minutes or so. While watching them I hear something walking through the thick brush behind me and turn around to see the left side of the rack of the buck in the picture and he is right behind a doe and moving fast. So I shimmy my way back to the right so that I am able to get him in my cross hairs. He finally presents me with a good shot and I successfully take it, all the while at a darn near 45 degree angle on a rickety ladder. It was quite an experience! Anyone else ever shot one from the ladder??

Attachments

• IMG_5204.PNG
    IMG_5204.PNG
    862.7 KB · Views: 1,442
  • IMG_5195.jpg
    IMG_5195.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 1,332
Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on a nice one , can’t say I’ve ever shot one off the ladder , but I’ve seen plenty while climbing up and down !

ROBD

My first buck was shot from the ladder while climbing down. I had sat for about 3 hours and did not see anything. Happened to come out when I was halfway down.

Meriwether Mike

Nice buck. Never shot one from the ladder. I have shot a few with the gun rope attached about to lower my weapon.

JoPa

Never shot one from the ladder, but that is a nice buck and a cool story. Congrats!

PAW-PAW BUCK

Nice Buck Congratulations! Yes I shot A big doe off the ladder while climbing years ago, I had to put my arms thru the ladder rungs.

chase870

Possum Sox
Not off the ladder but i shot a 8 pt about that size climbing up the tree in my climber Sunday afternoon

Congratulations on taking a very nice buck! I did have a younger buck that had come in and bedded by my stand stand up (after I thought he was gone) as I started down in my climber. I stepped off the stand, him still standing there at 30 yards and picked up my rifle I'd already lowered, aimed at him but did not shoot him.

3 years ago I tied off my rifle to lower it and here comes a doe. While I'm sure she was being chased by a buck, I already had one (Ky) so took aim with the pull cord wrapped around something so had to shoot her from a very awkward "pose", but it worked.

Latest posts