Tell me about goats.....

I had a long time and beloved dog pass after 16 years in March and its been quite a hard time. Going into his 17th year he was, a finer 4 legged friend there was not.

Ive been thinking about some form of animal friend and Ive mulled over a few goats. My thinking is they would be a more hands off animal to have or am I wrong? Are they escape artists? Are they a pain? What kind, size, male or female, how many?

I also like to have a tomato plant of 2, flowers, beans, and dont prefer to feed them with it.

On 2.75 acres Ive got the kudzu and room to keep them busy.

Whats the skinny on 'em? I know they are pretty hardy and seem like they would be a blast.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 12512751_10207053546310718_1859721961892269284_n.jpg
    12512751_10207053546310718_1859721961892269284_n.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 227

Jeff Raines

Any goat you get will have it's own personality.I have 2 goats,a buck and doe,don't know what breeds,probably mutts.
The buck is very playful,but ya have to watch him or he will get ya.He has been wethered(testicles removed) so he does not stink.
The doe,does not want to be touched and when she gets hungry,she gets LOUD.
Tomato plants are poison to goats because they are in the nightshade family.There are websites with lists of plants and such that are poison to goats.
I keep mine in the wooded part of my backyard and they keep the kudzu eat down.Neighbor keeps hers in her backyard on grass....she has not had to cut grass all year.
You must have a good goat fence,tractor supply has it.Get the one with 4 inch squares,goats get their heads stuck in the 6 inch.

Any goat you get will have it's own personality.I have 2 goats,a buck and doe,don't know what breeds,probably mutts.
The buck is very playful,but ya have to watch him or he will get ya.He has been wethered(testicles removed) so he does not stink.
The doe,does not want to be touched and when she gets hungry,she gets LOUD.
Tomato plants are poison to goats because they are in the nightshade family.There are websites with lists of plants and such that are poison to goats.
I keep mine in the wooded part of my backyard and they keep the kudzu eat down.Neighbor keeps hers in her backyard on grass....she has not had to cut grass all year.
You must have a good goat fence,tractor supply has it.Get the one with 4 inch squares,goats get their heads stuck in the 6 inch.

Thanks Jeff

Jeff Raines

you're welcome

I did have a Nigerian Pygmy that was very friendly,she acted more like a dog.I gave her away because my other two were picking on her.

BTW-goats like to have company,if you just get one it may get lonely and LOUD