Bore Snake Use Question

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is the one that I just got for my 10/22 and hopefully will eliminate any of the questions mentioned above. The coated cable is easily wiped clean.

The first thing I do is spray brake cleaner down the barrel from the chamber and let it drain out the barrel which is pointed down at a 45 degree angle. After sliding the cable down from the muzzle out the chamber then attach the patch with solvent and then pull it back through the barrel. Then repeat until clean with a coating of oil on the last patch.

gt40

Attachments

• bore snake .jpg
    bore snake .jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 107

Jester896

Senior Clown
After getting a long loaded bullet jammed into the lands on an out of state hunting trip in the middle of nowhere I always keep a cleaning rod in the rifle case. The bore snake I had in my case was useless.

my .308 case has a cutout in it for mine. I made PVC tubes to put them in and throw them in the truck...keeps them from getting damaged...also have a tube for action cleaning.

Yotedawg

my .308 case has a cutout in it for mine. I made PVC tubes to put them in and throw them in the truck...keeps them from getting damaged...also have a tube for action cleaning.

And here I was thinking I was the only one redneck enough to make pvc holders for my rods.

tad1

I use bore snakes as a rough cleaning tool, not for fine detail bore cleaning. A few passes through the gun removes much of the crud after a range session and I will also put some oil on the back end of the Snake to lube prior to putting the gun away. For deep cleaning all the traditional stuff still applies( rod jag patch solvent, etc)
No way I would spend time to do the deep clean with regularity. But I do want to prevent rust formation if the gun sits longer than I had anticipated. For cleaning take a small scoop oxi clean powder detergent and a freezer bag or other container of hot water and let the snake sit for a few hrs. They will go in filthy black and come out like the fresh driven snow!

Jester896

Senior Clown
and all this time I was under the belief that left over carbon fouling in a barrel could absorb moisture causing one to pit underneath it