What’s best predator gun and caliber for under $400 ??

new blood

If you can bring em in close, hard to beat a shotgun. You can definately find plenty under that price point. If your lookng for something to reach out a little farther, any 22-250, 223 and similar what do the job. You can find some brands that will keep you at your budget. If you can save a little more, an AR is a real fun time. Brands like DPMS and Smith and Wesson will get your there. You would most likely want to scope it so there's a little more money. Either way, you do have options. Good luck and have fun once you get your rig.

CRIMINOLES

Thanks ! I’m a newbie for sure , just got my primos alpha dog in the mail ! I’ve deer hunted for 30 years I figure it’s time I start trying to save some deer rather than killing them !

GunnSmokeer

.223 bolt rifle

I'm going to say the best "value" in a dedicated predator-only rifle (NOT to be used for deer, bear, etc.) is a bolt action rifle with an 18" to 20" barrel in .223 Remington caliber.

You can find cheap ammo for plinking and target practice, cheap EXPANDING ammo (foreign made) for hunting, and if you really want to pay $1.50 per shot for premium brand ammo, that's available too.

The bullet weights go from 45-77 grains, and the velocities for many loads exceed 3000 feet per second.

As for exactly what make and model of rifle, I'll let other folks suggest specifics on that. I've got a Remington 700 that I like, but I like my Savage too, and it was half the price. Whatever it is, make sure it's got a decent trigger. There are too many options on the market today to put up with a stiff or creepy 6-lb trigger.

weagle

Before they get gone, I'd jump on one of those Thompson Center Compass rifles in 22-250 or .223. Right now you can buy them for $299 - $75 rebate= $225 That leaves $175 for scope if you want to stay under $400.

I'm thinking of buying one in .223 just because they are such a good deal.

Bowyer29

I'm going to say the best "value" in a dedicated predator-only rifle (NOT to be used for deer, bear, etc.) is a bolt action rifle with an 18" to 20" barrel in .223 Remington caliber.

You can find cheap ammo for plinking and target practice, cheap EXPANDING ammo (foreign made) for hunting, and if you really want to pay $1.50 per shot for premium brand ammo, that's available too.

The bullet weights go from 45-77 grains, and the velocities for many loads exceed 3000 feet per second.

As for exactly what make and model of rifle, I'll let other folks suggest specifics on that. I've got a Remington 700 that I like, but I like my Savage too, and it was half the price. Whatever it is, make sure it's got a decent trigger. There are too many options on the market today to put up with a stiff or creepy 6-lb trigger.

Agreed!

That said, I bought my Mossberg Patriot for $358. 6.5 Creedmoor because I wanted one. Put a good Nikon on top of it and I have $550 in it. Over the budget listed but its accurate and fun to shoot.

GADawg08

ruger american ranch rifle in .223.....shoots 5.56 and .223. It also has a threaded barrel so you can add a suppressor. You can pick one up for $400 or little less

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Unless you just want a new gun, any deer rifle will work just fine.

That being said I love my Savage predator in .223. Im partial to the Accutrigger. Not to mention with the .223 in a normal size bolt action there is no recoil.
I topped it with a Nikon coyote scope. The reticle promotes quick target acquisition, especially at 100 yards or less. Its not good for punching paper but it wasn't meant to be.

If your going to be hunting big Ag. fields. I would step up to a .243. If your going to be hunting a lot on small food plots. Id tote a shotgun and a rifle.

Big7

The Oracle
^^^^^^

I'll second the .243 for long range.
The 6MM's BC is almost a dream in a small bore
and will shoot farther and faster than just about any
small bore.

But most around here are in .22 lr .22 WMR range a lot
of times.