Why is there a semicolon above the GON icon ^

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Why is there an ^ in your title?

GoldDot40

You've all been duped. It's not a semicolon. It's an incomplete lower case "J". A conspiracy if I've ever seen one...

History
The letter J originated as a swash letter I, used for the letter I at the end of Roman numerals when following another I, as in XXIIJ or xxiij instead of XXIII or xxiii for the Roman numeral representing 23. A distinctive usage emerged in Middle High German. Gian Giorgio Trissino (1478–1550) was the first to explicitly distinguish I and J as representing separate sounds, in his �pistola del Trissino de le lettere nuωvamente aggiunte ne la lingua italiana ("Trissino's epistle about the letters recently added in the Italian language") of 1524. Originally, 'I' and 'J' were different shapes for the same letter, both equally representing /i/, /i�/, and /j/; but, Romance languages developed new sounds (from former /j/ and /ɡ/) that came to be represented as 'I' and 'J'; therefore, English J, acquired from the French J, has a sound value quite different from /j/ (which represents the initial sound in the English word "yet").

Use in writing systems
English
In English, ⟨j⟩ most commonly represents the affricate /dÊ’/. In Old English, the phoneme /dÊ’/ was represented orthographically with ⟨cg⟩ and ⟨cÈ�⟩. Under the influence of Old French, which had a similar phoneme deriving from Latin /j/, English scribes began to use ⟨i⟩ (later ⟨j⟩) to represent word-initial /dÊ’/ in Old English (for example, iest and, later jest), while using ⟨dg⟩ elsewhere (for example, hedge). Later, many other uses of ⟨i⟩ (later ⟨j⟩) were added in loanwords from French and other languages (e.g. adjoin, junta). The first English language book to make a clear distinction between ⟨i⟩ and ⟨j⟩ was published in 1633. In loan words such as raj, ⟨j⟩ may represent /Ê’/. In some of these, including raj, Azerbaijan, Taj Mahal, and Beijing, the regular pronunciation /dÊ’/ is actually closer to the native pronunciation, making the use of /Ê’/ an instance of a hyperforeignism. Occasionally, ⟨j⟩ represents the original /j/ sound, as in Hallelujah and fjord (see Yodh for details). In words of Spanish origin, where ⟨j⟩ represents the voiceless velar fricative [x] (such as jalapeño), English speakers usually approximate with the voiceless glottal fricative .

In English, ⟨j⟩ is the fourth least frequently used letter in words, being more frequent only than ⟨z⟩, ⟨q⟩, and ⟨x⟩. It is, however, quite common in proper nouns, especially personal names.

Other languages
Germanic and Eastern-European languages

Pronunciation of written <j> in European languages
The great majority of Germanic languages, such as German, Dutch, Icelandic, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, use ⟨j⟩ for the palatal approximant /j/, which is usually represented by the letter ⟨y⟩ in English. Notable exceptions are English, Scots and (to a lesser degree) Luxembourgish. ⟨j⟩ also represents /j/ in Albanian, and those Uralic, Slavic and Baltic languages that use the Latin alphabet, such as Hungarian, Finnish, Estonian, Polish, Czech, Serbo-Croatian, Slovak, Latvian and Lithuanian. Some related languages, such as Serbo-Croatian and Macedonian, also adopted ⟨j⟩ into the Cyrillic alphabet for the same purpose. Because of this standard, the lower case letter was chosen to be used in the IPA as the phonetic symbol for the sound.

Romance languages
In the Romance languages, ⟨j⟩ has generally developed from its original palatal approximant value in Latin to some kind of fricative. In French, Portuguese, Catalan, and Romanian it has been fronted to the postalveolar fricative /ʒ/ (like ⟨s⟩ in English measure). In Spanish, by contrast, it has been both devoiced and backed from an earlier /�/ to a present-day /x ~ h/, with the actual phonetic realization depending on the speaker's dialect/s.

In modern standard Italian spelling, only Latin words, proper nouns (such as Jesi, Letojanni, Juventus etc.) or those borrowed from foreign languages have ⟨j⟩. Until the 19th century, ⟨j⟩ was used instead of ⟨i⟩ in diphthongs, as a replacement for final -ii, and in vowel groups (as in Savoja); this rule was quite strict for official writing. ⟨j⟩ is also used to render /j/ in dialect, e.g. Romanesque ajo for standard aglio (–/ʎ/–) (garlic). The Italian novelist Luigi Pirandello used ⟨j⟩ in vowel groups in his works written in Italian; he also wrote in his native Sicilian language, which still uses the letter ⟨j⟩ to represent /j/ (and sometimes also [dʒ] or [gj], depending on its environment).

Basque
In Basque, the diaphoneme represented by ⟨j⟩ has a variety of realizations according to the regional dialect: [gʰ, kʰ, j, �, ɟ, ʒ, ʃ, x] (the last one is typical of Gipuzkoa).

Non-European languages
Among non-European languages that have adopted the Latin script, ⟨j⟩ stands for /ʒ/ in Turkish and Azerbaijani, for /�/ in Tatar. ⟨j⟩ stands for /dʒ/ in Indonesian, Somali, Malay, Igbo, Shona, Oromo, Turkmen, and Zulu. It represents a voiced palatal plosive /ɟ/ in Konkani, Yoruba, and Swahili. In Kiowa, ⟨j⟩ stands for a voiceless alveolar plosive, /t/.

In Chinese Pinyin, ⟨j⟩ stands for /tɕ/, the unaspirated equivalent of ⟨q⟩.

The Royal Thai General System of Transcription does not use the letter ⟨j⟩, although it is used in some proper names and non-standard transcriptions to represent either จ [tɕ] or ช [tɕʰ] (the latter following Pali/Sanskrit root equivalents).
:huh:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I see it too. Something sinister is going on. Russians?

Ok, so on the way back from the quick mart, I looked at the back of our nearest highway sign, you guessed it...semicolon on the backside, clear as day (well as clear as my spotlight anyway). It's a way marker, I guess they were right after all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There isn't anything y'all can do about it anyway, so you might as well hang on for the ride.

Attachments

• Symbol.jpg
    Symbol.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 129

wvdawg

Staff member
; ;;; ; ;; ;;;; ;;;;;; !!!

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Ikr?

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Had a nightmare bout ; last night. They were chasing me and what not - it was skeery.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Still wondering what will come after it... ;
Forrest-Gump-Running.jpg

What will we have to look forward to?

A strange symbol who's origins are cloaked in mystery. It is believed to hold magical properties but it's true nature is still unknown mankind.

The world's top historians have found a link that connects the birthplace of all religions back to the semicolon. The earliest semicolon discovered, on Earth, dates back over 800 million years, according to paleontologists. However, images taken from the Mars Rover have also discovered several stone carvings of this mark.

Urban Dictionary