Internet has caused an will continue to cause lease prices to skyrocket

shdw633

Anytime you can market an item to the mass's that is going to happen. Someone that would not typically find it the conventional way sees it on the Internet and suddenly their is a demand that was not there before.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I won't say the hunters increased. Maybe the available land to hunt decreased. It's going to get worse first. Then when a bunch quit, it will get better a while. Then there will be 2.4 million hunting WMA's eventually. I guess everyone will join PETA after that.

Buckstop

Instead of smaller isolated rural markets as in the past in GA, AL and SC, its pretty much any hunter within an 8 hour drive, which includes many major metropolitan areas. As incomes are typically higher in metropolitan areas, what these participants can or will pay is where property owners sets the price or market.

Same for the mid-west only the quality of hunting there opens it up to the whole nation that's willing to travel any distance for that kind of hunting.

Not much different than anything on E bay.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

PappyHoel

I won't say the hunters increased. Maybe the available land to hunt decreased. It's going to get worse first. Then when a bunch quit, it will get better a while. Then there will be 2.4 million hunting WMA's eventually. I guess everyone will join PETA after that.

4000 acres of timber land sold in Lumpkin county that hunters will most likely not have access to anymore. That was all hunt clubs. I don think there will be much Timber land left in north Georgia before long. If you aren't hunting on private land or wmas you might not be hunting. Timber lease hunt clubs are phasing out.

Jim Boyd

I am not sure I agree.

I am paying the same or less now in SC than I was paying 7 years ago.

One of my landowners has agreed to a decrease when his daughter graduates college and she only has one class left. Maybe in 2019 I get a break on that lease.

One of my landowners agreed to a two year 12.5% decrease (2018 and 2019) in lease fees because they clear cut about 55 acres of 260 acres total on that tract - and he granted me 6 additional prime acres of food plot ground (land that was in crop rotation until 2016 and is slated for pines).

One of my landowners in Illinois charged me the first year and now will not let me pay him at all.

My primary landowner in Illinois - I asked him if we needed to adjust the lease costs upwards in 2018 and he flatly refused - so these costs have been the same for 5 years - and he let me hunt the first year free “just to see if I liked it”.

A nice F150 was $11k in 1989, that same truck today would be - what - about $40k? Call it $35k ( which I think is low) it still costs 3x + as much and that was less than 30 years ago.

Nothing goes down in price, generally.

Some land in the Midwest is down - in the early 2000’s, land in and around Pike County Illinois was routinely $40-$50 acre. Not so any more, at least for the most part. It is still very high, but it is one of the premier places on the planet to deer hunt.

If you are paying between $12 to $16 per acre for decent ground in the south, I think you are about spot on.

Midwest - you can plan on $20 to $35 for a good farm that has a decent mix of tillable and timber.

IMHO, we are still in the good old days. Find good landowners and them give them great respect and treatment and you should do ok.

Can u lose your lease?

Of course you can.

Are you less likely to lose it?

Of course you are.

Best of luck to all!

fountain

I am not sure I agree.

I am paying the same or less now in SC than I was paying 7 years ago.

One of my landowners has agreed to a decrease when his daughter graduates college and she only has one class left. Maybe in 2019 I get a break on that lease.

One of my landowners agreed to a two year 12.5% decrease (2018 and 2019) in lease fees because they clear cut about 55 acres of 260 acres total on that tract - and he granted me 6 additional prime acres of food plot ground (land that was in crop rotation until 2016 and is slated for pines).

One of my landowners in Illinois charged me the first year and now will not let me pay him at all.

My primary landowner in Illinois - I asked him if we needed to adjust the lease costs upwards in 2018 and he flatly refused - so these costs have been the same for 5 years - and he let me hunt the first year free “just to see if I liked it”.

A nice F150 was $11k in 1989, that same truck today would be - what - about $40k? Call it $35k ( which I think is low) it still costs 3x + as much and that was less than 30 years ago.

Nothing goes down in price, generally.

Some land in the Midwest is down - in the early 2000’s, land in and around Pike County Illinois was routinely $40-$50 acre. Not so any more, at least for the most part. It is still very high, but it is one of the premier places on the planet to deer hunt.

If you are paying between $12 to $16 per acre for decent ground in the south, I think you are about spot on.

Midwest - you can plan on $20 to $35 for a good farm that has a decent mix of tillable and timber.

IMHO, we are still in the good old days. Find good landowners and them give them great respect and treatment and you should do ok.

Can u lose your lease?

Of course you can.

Are you less likely to lose it?

Of course you are.

Best of luck to all!

All I will say is you should consider yourself extremely lucky. Others aren't on thst side of the spectrum. It's the exact opposite. The reason could me many, but leases near me never go down in price, it's always going up by several dollars per acre

Jim Boyd

Fountain,

I am very blessed and know it. I try never to take it for granted and pray often for humility, appreciation and respect.

In reality however, leases are like any other commodity - some things just have extra pressure on them. Consider waterfront property.... it is just sky high.

But, there is always a limit and always a downturn and the reasons can be numerous.

My additional prayers center around this - that we, as hunters, lease (or join leases) with open minds and open hearts but not with open pocketbooks.

Many is the time I see a guy put up a post looking for a lease and a month later he is lamenting “I can’t find anything”.

Where are the visits to the grain elevators, auctions, hardware stores, outdoor related banquets, NWTF / QDMA events that get you to meeting and knowing people???

Where are the out of state trips where you do the same thing?

Opportunity is, unfortunately, not an equal opportunity employer when it comes to the things we want (no pun intended).

I got one of my Illinois leases because I called a small town bank and asked for the land loan officer. He could not help me but the next day, his brother called me and I hunt his farm to this day.

Mighty is the lament when often weak is the effort.

I appreciate your comments and you are right, prices do go up.

I am hopeful you find what you seek!

XIronheadX

In the 70's to mid 80's I had 4 different places to hunt. I didn't even ask. Owners would say go hunt my land. Times have changed lol.

rance56

the point of this post isn’t to dispute that it’s about supply and demand, the point is that the internet has greatly increased the demand, so guess what follows after that

There is a new company that has brought on a number of large clients the last couple of years that is really changing the ball game. Very similar to what baecamp does with private landowners.

Beating the bushes and establishing relationships is losing so me of its effectiveness due to this internet leasing explosion.

XIronheadX

Internet hasn't really increased demand. It's made it easier to find places to lease. It's put people in touch with one another. The demand is what it is. If anything increased demand its available land to lease.