OK Smart People, Please Tell Me What Is The Real Truth. !!!!

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I'm no Engineer but I got a lot of common sense. I have asked the question of why the Auto manufacturers aren't using solar technology on the electric cars they are producing? Make the hood, Trunk deck lid and the roof a Solar panel. On an 8 hr day at the office that could be a huge savings in charging times once you got home. And i also wondered how much charging could be done by a simple Old school GM 1 wire alternator powered by each wheel speed. It would have to add some miles to each trip. Just my south Ga redneck mentality tho.

NOYDB

BANNED
Takes energy to make or move energy. Some is lost to the environment with every change. Most often as heat. That's part of the inefficiency in a car engine. Every bit of heat coming off your car engine, is energy NOT going towards moving your car.

basstrkr

Rates

There are many different rates, residential, commercial and many sub divisions. The rates change hourly according to production cost and local loads, area loads, state loads and national sectional loads. The rates we see at home are an average and they are regulated by the PSC. However increased cost can and are passed on through many different titles and formulas.
Georgia Power use to use "Fuel Differential" as an add on when increased cost were incurred.

You are right there are differences in power cost by the season and amount used, but in a regulated market increases in rates require approval, something that doesn’t happen overnight. It does cost the power company more, but that doesn’t change your rate schedule.

MudDucker

Staff member
The truth is that in order to power and service electric cars, a lot of petro is involved in the process. The batteries are an environmental disaster waiting to happen, much like nuclear waste.

The future is NOT electric cars, it is hydrogen energy cells. Mark my words.

Capt Quirk

One way to make it work, is using solar fields to charge grids in the road. Like the electric slot cars. City transit used to run street cars. Not practical in the country, but better than burning fuel in non moving traffic.

NOYDB

BANNED
Like so much it's the falsity of the 100% solution. There are already ways solar solves existing problems. i.e. The lighted signs for traffic control.

If..... a really big if. Someone ever comes up with a more efficient solar panel, more things could be run with solar. With the current understanding of physics, it can not happen.

If..... another really big if. Someone comes up with batteries that can store and release on demand, in the power levels needed. Then electric cars will become viable. Until then it's what used to be called a pipe dream.