Why do we have "other faiths"?

centerpin fan

Not really. I had the discussion with my grandmother once... she's the one that clued me into it to start with. She firmly believed that those who had never heard the Gospel before went to "a good place, but not Heaven". This was when I asked her what happened to all the people like deep in the rain forests who never had even seen a missionary... did they just go to Hades... didn't seem very fair... their only "crime" was to be born to parents in a remote part of the world. She was Southern Baptist, btw.

Maybe Grandma was reading too much into it.

Artfuldodger

I've seen the argument in other places since. It may not be *your* opinion, but there are folks of that opinion and they back it up with Romans.

I've heard that opinion before too. I've also heard that God has already delivered his message to the ones around the world that he wants to save. This was from someone of the Elect persuasion.

Artfuldodger

Here is the United Church of God's belief. They believe all those people who never heard of God will get there Salvation or chance at Salvation at the second resurrection.
From their site;
God "desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:4)
But considering the masses of humanity who have never even heard the name of Christ, many Christians have wondered if or how they would have a chance for salvation. We believe the Bible teaches that all will have a real chance through the often neglected doctrine of "resurrection of the dead" and God's judgment (Hebrews 6:2)

http://www.ucg.org/bible-faq/will-e...happens-after-death-resurrection-judgment-day

centerpin fan

How do you know which ones you take at face value and which ones require being read in to further?

You have to look at the context, both the immediate context and the context of the entire body of scripture. In addition, you should consider what the church has always taught about the passage.

shane256

You have to look at the context, both the immediate context and the context of the entire body of scripture. In addition, you should consider what the church has always taught about the passage.

Because there is only one church/denomination of the Christian religion? There are many denominations simply because of different interpretations of scripture...

centerpin fan

Because there is only one church/denomination of the Christian religion? There are many denominations simply because of different interpretations of scripture...

There are many denominations because people tend to ignore two things.

This:

"... no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." 2 Peter 1:20

... and this:

... what the church has always taught about the passage.

shane256

"... no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." 2 Peter 1:20

Then it all must be taken literally and then there are all kinds of... things... that must be taken into account. For example, how did two of every species of animal fit onto the ark along with their food, etc? It'd have to be like the Tardis.

centerpin fan

Then it all must be taken literally and then there are all kinds of... things... that must be taken into account.

I disagree, but this is not the best forum for that discussion. Start a new thread in the AAA forum if you like.

mtnwoman

But the interpretation of each denomination isn't what salvation is about. There's only one thing that is required of us, that we believe John 3:16. ALL Christians will agree on that verse. We don't have to interpret anything else correctly, that is not a requirement for salvation. Scriptures tells us that we will not all agree on the entire bible, because that's not what saves us. It's basically John 3:16 that will save us.

I may be convicted on certain things that Centerpin may not be convicted of, that will not hinder either of our salvation, because we disagree on some things. I'd say at least 90% of the Bible isn't agreed upon....it's knowing who Jesus is and what He did on the cross and our repentence that saves us.

My ex thinks he's a pretty good guy....he shares his 'highs' with other people...shares his beer, shares his pot, will give someone the shirt off his back, will give someone a place to live, let someone drive his car, feed someone, give people money....yeah he's a nice, pretty good guy, but he has no relationship with Christ, so Christ will tell him, I do not know you, because my ex doesn't believe that Christ is who he says He is. It's not by works that we are saved, it's by faith in Christ that saves us. It depends on if you want to know Christ or not as to whether you want to end up with the gift of Christ or go somewhere else...wherever that may be.

mtnwoman

I've heard that opinion before too. I've also heard that God has already delivered his message to the ones around the world that he wants to save. This was from someone of the Elect persuasion.

Yeah, well.....I don't feel like I'm wasting my time, do you? Preach the gospel so that ALL may be saved...

Preach on my bro!!