Old buck

flyrod444

This is a buck that lives in a fenced in area in SC. There have been deer here since I can remember and have always stopped by to feed them something when in the area. Just thought members would like to see what happens to a rack as the old bucks get older. Fist picture is from last year when he was 6 or seven years old . Second picture is of same buck this year one year later.

Attachments

• IMG_20151113_095112580_HDR-511x908.jpg
    IMG_20151113_095112580_HDR-511x908.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 1,842
  • IMG_20171118_170746709_LL-510x680.jpg
    IMG_20171118_170746709_LL-510x680.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,839

fullstrut

Cool pics . Thanks for sharing. Down hill for the Ol Stud from here.

hdgapeach

Been visiting Mr. Lombard's place my whole life (54 years old now). Always enjoyed calling the turkeys, feeding the deer and watching those Oxen he always had. I'd stop by on my way back from hunting up near the river in Whetstone and feed the deer apples. Always left a few green backs in the metal box on the side of the pen every time I visited. At one time or another, Jack had at least one of every kind of mountain wildlife that there was. I remember the coons and an area he had surrounded with roofing tin that contained rattlesnakes he'd caught. Jack rehabbed a lot of injured deer in his lifetime.

I guess his son is picking up the Lombard tradition. Jack was a DNR guy. Guess that's what got him started with what he had on his home place. If his son is still at the same place he used to be, he runs the fish hatchery near his and Jack's homes.

It was always entertaining getting to watch Jack feed the deer during rut time. He'd throw a few apples across the pen to get the bucks away from the feed trough. Then he'd scoot into the pen, dump the bucket of feed in the trough, then high tail it out of the pen before the bucks could double back to him.

Jack passed in September of 2014 (87 years old). There was never a better friend of the mountain wildlife than Jack. He and my dad went to school together. Dad's the one that introduced me to Jack when I was a kid. Still remember that.

Thanks flyrod444 for bringing back the memories! I need to take a trip up there soon to check out the deer, hatchery and the old Stump House tunnel. Been a while.

flyrod444

Last time I talked to Jack's son he was still working at the hatchery, but that was several years ago. I was very pleased to see the deer still there this year. Hope his son keeps them there for many more years.

hdgapeach

Last time I talked to Jack's son he was still working at the hatchery, but that was several years ago. I was very pleased to see the deer still there this year. Hope his son keeps them there for many more years.

Jack's son, Ernie, is a straight up guy. I hope he'll keep the place going for a long time. A bunch of schools do field trips up there so the kids can learn about, and get a taste of what real mountain life is all about. Jack and his family lived it and it's a fine testiment to the man for having the determination and patience to pass his knowledge and skills down to the little ones.

Reckon the next time I go up to my brother's, I'll have to head on up the mountain for a visit. Been too long.

Killer Kyle

How is he keeping them in with that fence?!

Last edited:

hdgapeach

If memory serves me, the fence is around 8 feet tall. Mr. Lombard told me about an injured 6 point he had rehabbed that released itself back into the wild when he spooked it bush-hogging next to the fence one day. Said the buck didn't touch the fence at all when he went over!

There was turkey in the pen with the deer every time I visited. Heck, they fly and still stayed.

The wildlife up there must just like the hospitality!