1983 Model Seven 308 followed me home

MCBUCK

I have wanted this very rifle for years, but for some reason or another it never happened. I always saw the .243 or the 7-08, then the other day I walked into a LGS that I have not set foot in for maybe 20 years and the guy had "the flight" Two 7-08's a .243 and ONE .308 Win. I actually got wishy washy for a day and my wife made me go back and get it. I picked up a Leup VXHog to top it off ( I may swap the VXHog for a Leup 1.5-5x20--I'm not real fond of the "Pig Plex-I prefer a clean cross hair)
All in all I couldn't be more pleased. The gun was manufactured in 83'[ but I would still grade it at about 90-95% easily. The wood has some normal wear but no scratches-dings and there is a couple of minor spots in the barrel but zero pitting. The iron sights are gone, but there is always Midway or Brownells; the rear sight holes have filler screws, so that may be the fate of the front sight holes. OK, so now for your experts to chime in and tell me what I got. $650 was the ticket, so I think he was in line and I may have gotten a better deal since it was a 308

Attachments

• 6E79446A-73B5-443A-B5DB-7D81B0D5E78B.jpg
    6E79446A-73B5-443A-B5DB-7D81B0D5E78B.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 566

jglenn

my family probably has owned 10 or so model 7s..

best stand rifle ever especially the 18" barrel version like yours.

all of ours have had outstanding accuracy..

they do have the old style Walker trigger.. best advice is to clean it with lighter fluid and blow it out... don't mess with the sear adjustment at all. if you want something better go get a Timney and put it in.

you'll love this gun

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Had the Mowhawk in .308 and let it get away from me. Been crying ever since.

MCBUCK

Gun Trader in Ringgold Ga has two 7-08 in the rack and a 243 Win I think...and all are clean as a whistle. I hope I can say that...Anyway...I expect good accuracy as long as I don’t hear it up too fast. And the trigger feels nice and crispy..I would guessed it breaks cleanly at what I’d guess 3lbs maybe a hair less. I’m
Happy.

Dub

Sweet little rifle, those Model 7's.

I think you'll be very pleased with it. Local woods stand rifle is a perfect use.

The one I had loved 150gr CoreLokts from Walmarks. It shot 'em inside quarter shaped groups so long as I let the barrel cool between shots.

I did have a gunsmith adjust the trigger for me.

Also had her topped with a Leupold.

MCBUCK

Sweet little rifle, those Model 7's.

I think you'll be very pleased with it. Local woods stand rifle is a perfect use.

The one I had loved 150gr CoreLokts from Walmarks. It shot 'em inside quarter shaped groups so long as I let the barrel cool between shots.

I did have a gunsmith adjust the trigger for me.

Also had her topped with a Leupold.

Which Leupold did you run with ?

My compact rifles have the vx-2 3-7-32mm. I think it's a great size for a model 7. I bought the 3x9x40 Leupold deal posted here from Midway and I was a little surprised by how long the tube was. I also prefer a simple, fine cross hair. Looked through a rifle the other day with the BDC cross hair and it's just not for me.

MCBUCK

Swappped the VXHog for the VX3I 1.5-5 today. I’ll mount it tomorrow and maybe try to get a few rounds down range. I don’t have a lapping bar but I think I’ll be ok.

killerv

nice rifle, have a walnut 243 and a stainless 708 model 7. Also found a model 7 youth in 708 for my 9yo. You probably paid up for it a tad, I passed on one in 6mm last summer for about 450, still kicking myself for that one but it needed a little bit of love. my 243 is topped with a 2-8 monarch and the 708 is topped with a vx3i 3.5-10. Ace hardware started carrying gun screws and have fillers if you don't want to pay 10 bucks shipping on a 50cent screw from midway.

I actually like the vx-hog scopes, I picked one up for an AR and my son killed two deer using it this year.

WishboneW

Thanks MCBUCK.
One of my sons lives just across the line in Hixson and is going down one day this week to look at them.

Dub

Which Leupold did you run with ?

You are gonna laugh.....it was a synthetic stocked stainless action & barreled Model 7.

Nice, light, compact rifle.

I mounted a stainless finished Leupold 3.5-10x50mm on top of it. facepalm: It looked funny, but man that thing was a great rifle. One of the guns I really regret selling.

I used the proceeds to buy a grossly overbore magnum something or another that I went on to regret....should've hung on the Model 7.

MCBUCK

Not laughing...not out loud anyway. But I bet that gun did loooodd. Hey, at least it was a good shooter.

IIICrkRepr

My compact rifles have the vx-2 3-7-32mm. I think it's a great size for a model 7. I bought the 3x9x40 Leupold deal posted here from Midway and I was a little surprised by how long the tube was. I also prefer a simple, fine cross hair. Looked through a rifle the other day with the BDC cross hair and it's just not for me.

I have an early 80's Model 7 in 308 and I finally paired it with the 2x7x33 Leupold in a dnz mount .. its a perfect match. I started with the 1.5x4x20 Leupold but ended up moving it over to my H&R Ultraslug.

MCBUCK

I have an early 80's Model 7 in 308 and I finally paired it with the 2x7x33 Leupold in a dnz mount .. its a perfect match. I started with the 1.5x4x20 Leupold but ended up moving it over to my H&R Ultraslug.

I have the same gun. Mine was made in 83. I see 7-08 and 243 all the time, but 308's....never. I am not sure they made as many 308's as the 243's and 7-08's. I price checked them in GB and GA and just finding one was tough. They seem to be in that $600-$700 range for a Schnabel fore-end early 80's model; provided the grade is 95+ I am guessing people just hold on to the 308's