Trolling motor recommendation for hog island skiff SW16

BeefMaster

I have a question for those who are much wiser than I. I am about to pull the trigger on a Hog Island sw16 skiff. It's a 16x54 rotomolded hull that weighs 480lbs. With the 50/35 jet Tohatsu motor, polling platform, battery, fuel, and 2 occupants I figure weight will come in around around 1200 lbs (over estimating). I am looking at a Minn Kota power drive and they come in two thrust power levels: 55 (12v) and 70 lbs (24v). I like the idea of only adding the weight of one battery for weight but I am not sure that 55lbs is enough thrust. My fishing will be split between rivers such as Etowah and Coosa, lakes, and when time allows, some salt flats. I would love to hear any personal experience that would help me make the best purchase.

Thanks.

ribber

It's according to what kind of fishing you'll be doing and how much thrust you expect from your trolling motor, but I would say the 55lb would be plenty on a skiff that size. I have a MK 55lb Powerdrive on my 17ft Javelin bass boat and it has plenty of power and I can longline troll almost all day. Just my hull weighs 1000 lbs, not including a 90hp engine, fuel, gear, etc.
On a calm day it will pull my boat 2.5-3 mph.

Bigger is always more efficient, but if you're worried about the extra battery just go with the 55

BeefMaster

Keogon,
I am heading to FL this weekend to test drive/buy a lightly used one. It already has a 55lb Rodan GPS trolling motor so IF I get the boat I suppose for a while at least I'll run that one.
Congrats on your new ride, would love to see some pics of it when she's kitted out.

KEOGON

Keogon,
I am heading to FL this weekend to test drive/buy a lightly used one. It already has a 55lb Rodan GPS trolling motor so IF I get the boat I suppose for a while at least I'll run that one.
Congrats on your new ride, would love to see some pics of it when she's kitted out.

I'll post some pics once I get it (hopefully by the end of this week). Did you end up getting the one you looked at in FL?

BeefMaster

Yes I did actually. I drove through the night and got in the water for a test run a little after 8am. Everything seems to be sorted out properly so some greenback exchanged hands and, after a lunch of fresh oysters at the FishCamp in Titusville we skedaddled back north. Now I just need time to put it in the water, there are fish that need my flies.

I attached a photo from the ad, pre trolling motor, and push pole mounts.

Originally I had my mind set on a jet outboard, but, I am going to see how well i can get around with the prop.

Did you end up getting yours??

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited: