Who carries a few swatter rounds?

turky93

Until you hook into a big can that is belly up and that gamkasu trebble sinks in, makes for an interesting fight when you have large ice flows on the Potomac;)

As far as shooting a lot to finish one, guess none has taken a buffle head on the water, that low profile makes them harder to hit than most.:shoot:

The trick is to aim under the duck, that way more of your pattern skips up into it rather than passing by overhead.
I've learned that through lots of cussing and bewilderment of bullet proof swimmers :bounce:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
The trick is to aim under the duck, that way more of your pattern skips up into it rather than passing by overhead.
I've learned that through lots of cussing and bewilderment of bullet proof swimmers :bounce:

I was taught that by and old crust WF hunter, even leaned down lower to get more ricochet pellets into the ducks, but does not always work on smaller/hardier ones, buffies, bills, scoters. Still like a denser pattern to get one in the old head with the smaller shot.

WOODIE13

Then you get the ones that do the snake, with just a little bit of their head above the water, got to get above them, stand up in the boat and shoot down on them.

emusmacker

Yep them buffies are hard to bring down.

Attachments

• 100_0517.jpg
    100_0517.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 370

THE RETURN

Banned
well i shoot hevi-metals & blind-side.good shells sell them-selves .true a good choke pays for itself to. so, i say don't be a cheap "O" ..!!! Buy the best shot-guns, shoot really good shells&blow great calls.... And enjoy yourself ....:yeah:

WOODIE13

Not bring down, put in the bag, yes. More shot in a pattern never hurts, Lord knows these turkey hunters now days are pushing the #7 HS pretty hard for a denser pattern, I am just talking about the swatter/slapper round to finish off a cripple, but alas, I guess I am the only one that have a few die hard cripples out there, even if I have a wonder dog and bone crushing chokes:pop::cheers:.

No one would admit it, but sometimes you just need to come to Jesus.::ke::hammers:

WOODIE13

well i shoot hevi-metals & blind-side.good shells sell them-selves .true a good choke pays for itself to. so, i say don't be a cheap "O" ..!!! Buy the best shot-guns, shoot really good shells&blow great calls.... And enjoy yourself ....:yeah:

I shoot an SBE and shoot HM for geese along with HS depending on the situation. How long you been shooting - Blind Side is what I meant with the acronym;)
I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - It just came out last year, didn't it? I also shoot an SBE, older but still does pretty good short of having a laser designator.

The coup de grace fails me yet again, should have tried harder in French class.

WOODIE13

As far as dogs go, if you are hunting standing/sheltered water, makes it a lot easier for a dog to fetch up a duck v. current, tidal, wind and ice. A dog is a great tool, but sometimes they still have to be left home if the conditions warrant, if not, guess you will be looking another up in the want ads.

Boudreaux

Anytime I'm hunting with chadair, I slip a few 3.5" turkey loads into his blind bag to use a swatter rounds, if needed.

Gives me the ammo needed to put a final smack down on a goose, and keeps ME outta trouble.

fishndinty

I have never had a problem swatting, and I just aim clean at their heads :)

emusmacker

Topwater!

100% topwater. I'm also a waterswatter. Yes I do have a few cripples. I just bust em with my cheap fed shells that I shoot all season.

Like I've said many times, TOPWATERS HAVE WAYYYY MORE FUN DUCK HUNTING.

THE RETURN

Banned
I shoot an SBE and shoot HM for geese along with HS depending on the situation. How long you been shooting - Blind Side is what I meant with the acronym;)
I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - It just came out last year, didn't it? I also shoot an SBE, older but still does pretty good short of having a laser designator.

The coup de grace fails me yet again, should have tried harder in French class.

havent shot blindside much,they shoot good..but i prefer H.METALS... AS for my comments about guns and such i meant nothing offensive toward you....

Last edited:
Not since they outlawed lead and i dont carry any buckshot in the boat now a days. But I use to.

MudDucker

Staff member
As one old dog told me as a kid, shot'em in da head and it don't matter. As he got the last word out of his mouth, a bird came in straight at him and he emptied his gun without cutting a feather. I hit the bird direct overhead, turned and asked, is that what you meant to do? I can not repeat the rest of his lesson.

I carry some cheap #2's just in case I have a crip or I shot so lousy that I run out of good shells.

Smokey73

Banned
i try and miss 75% of the birds i shoot :shoot:so it will take longer to limit out,or at least that what i tell my buddies & my nephews ...;)