Where did the squirrels go?

LovinOutside

I went to John's Mountain WMA, found a nice set of Oak trees, and there were zero squirrels. Everywhere I went. Do the squirrels know they're in season and hide? It was about 5-6pm, ~84 degrees (I think.)

The only squirrel I saw was running across Hwy. 136 on the way back to Calhoun.

Was there a better WMA to go to? Granted, I only tried one open spot, not too, too far from the Checkin.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They love them some hickory nuts and black walnuts, too. White oaks are the best oaks. With squirrels, sometimes it just depends on the time of day, weather, and such.

Hillbilly stalker

I've read where they would move up to 2 miles for food. If I didn't see cuttings and such, I would try another location. I was hog hunting in The low country this past Friday and saw more squirrels on about a 2 acre hickory flat, than I saw all last year together. They were cutting hickory and saw tooth oaks and had it raining. Squirrels are in and out a lot during the day, but around here this is their busiest time of year. Only saw two on the ground, but the tree tops are full of squirrel down there.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here read your heart out about squirrel migrations:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=squir...-19&sk=&cvid=A15DC5AF0FAB4CF98CAE7E1C6D417AE3

gt40

PS: Back in the 1960s the New York Fish and Game had an article in the paper where they recorded more than 10,000 squirrels crossed the Hudson River bridge at Catskill, N.Y. in one summer. They crossed from west to east.

Three years ago here in Lawrenceville, GA. we had squirrels all over our subdivision. Three of us decided to live trap as many as we could. Two doors from me they trapped 59 , the next house towards mine trapped 16 and I trapped 26. We started to spray an orange spot between their shoulders to see if they would return after we released them one mile away. Not one ever returned. Since then the population of them has dropped off to just a few.

Last edited: