Where to buy white basswood?

atlashunter

Does anyone know of a nursery that sells white basswood trees aka tilia heterophylla? I see a lot of American Basswood on the online nurseries but read it isn't heat tolerant and white basswood is native to Georgia. Having trouble finding white basswood trees for sale anywhere.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to find. I have found a few at small specialty native plant nurseries, but never in abundance.

atlashunter

Still looking for this. Every nursery I've found online has American Basswood which is a more northern tree from what I've read. Beginning to wonder if there is really a difference? The Latin name for white basswood is tilia heterophyla. Don't know why it is so hard to find.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
T. heterophylla is actually treated now as a variety of T. americana instead of a separate species. T. americana is split into three varieties: var. americana (American basswood,) which is a more northern tree; var. heterophylla (white basswood,) which is the common one here in the southern Appalachians and parts of the southeast, and var. caroliniana(southern basswood,)-which is probably the one you actually want instead of heterophylla. Var. caroliniana grows throughout SC and GA and about halfway down the Florida peninsula, while var. heterophylla is rare outside the mountains and upper Piedmont.

I deal with some obscure, small native plant nurseries sometimes, so if I happen to encounter any for sale, I'll let you know.

atlashunter

T. heterophylla is actually treated now as a variety of T. americana instead of a separate species. T. americana is split into three varieties: var. americana (American basswood,) which is a more northern tree; var. heterophylla (white basswood,) which is the common one here in the southern Appalachians and parts of the southeast, and var. caroliniana(southern basswood,)-which is probably the one you actually want instead of heterophylla. Var. caroliniana grows throughout SC and GA and about halfway down the Florida peninsula, while var. heterophylla is rare outside the mountains and upper Piedmont.

I deal with some obscure, small native plant nurseries sometimes, so if I happen to encounter any for sale, I'll let you know.

Thanks! That sounds like what I am looking for.

atlashunter

Did you ever find a nursery with some basswood?

I never did but I’m still in the market especially if I could find some 3-7 gallon sized trees.

Latest posts