Still hunting questions

dawgvet

So I was wondering what everyone's favorite way to still hunt (or just hunt without a dog) was? Do you just pick out some good looking oaks or hickory trees and sit for a while? Do you ever try to stalk up closer if you see one farther off? Any luck calling with commercial call or rubbing the edge of one quarter with the other? Do you feel camo is essential?

I like to take my kids squirrel hunting but always looking for tips for better success. Any tips appreciated.
Thanks

Hillbilly stalker

I like to slip and slide thru the woods. Knowing the food source is as important as if hunting any other game. We haven't had a lot of rain, so our acorns are still good. But when all the leaves have fallen, squirrels don't seem to be in the open hard woods near as much. The owls and Hawks pick them off when they are in the wide open like that. Check your hickory trees, walnuts and acorn trees. Find some fresh cuttings and sit on them 20-30 minutes. Two quarters will make him stick his head back out quicker for a peak. When you shoot your first one just set still and wait for the second one before you move. When you see several chasing in the same tree, it's the game of love. The female is usually at the top. Leave her be, let her be a momma. It's one of the best ways to sharpen your woodsman ship skills. It doesn't require the latest camo, anything earth tone will work. Have fun.

Stalker, great suggestions. If you decide to wright a book, I'll take a signed copy, please.
What weapon & ammo do you usually use in the late season, Dec, Jan, Feb.
I don't have the privilege of owning a squirrel dog. So, I'm normally out in the woods by myself. Grands will come when they are not tied up with other obligations.
Good hunting to all.

Big7

The Oracle
Go Turkey quite and cammo in the mornings and evenings.

Nothing wrong with "walking" down logging roads, etc
during the day.

If you get busted, they will give a warning call or knock.
They don't know if you are a hawk, falcon or whatever.

Once you get "busted", might as well shoot.
Takes them a few hours to calm down and come back out.

Possum

Banned
So I was wondering what everyone's favorite way to still hunt (or just hunt without a dog) was? Do you just pick out some good looking oaks or hickory trees and sit for a while? Do you ever try to stalk up closer if you see one farther off? Any luck calling with commercial call or rubbing the edge of one quarter with the other? Do you feel camo is essential?

I like to take my kids squirrel hunting but always looking for tips for better success. Any tips appreciated.
Thanks

Great to hear you taking the kids squirrel hunting. I’ve found my kids prefer going after squirrel more than deer. We have dogs but the great thing about squirrel hunting is you pretty much can’t do it wrong. Walk a while, sit a while, whatever the kids want to do. I used to go a lot more than I do now but one of my best memories as a kid was the first time my dad took me squirrel hunting.

Hillbilly stalker

Stalker, great suggestions. If you decide to wright a book, I'll take a signed copy, please.
What weapon & ammo do you usually use in the late season, Dec, Jan, Feb.
I don't have the privilege of owning a squirrel dog. So, I'm normally out in the woods by myself. Grands will come when they are not tied up with other obligations.
Good hunting to all.

When I'm still hunting I prefer a .22 rifle with hollow. Points. Squirrels have bad nerves and some times they just bust loose , can't stand it. An old mountain trick is to whistle between your teeth like a redtail hawk, a lot of times they freeze outa habit and you can get a good shot. If you check "squirrel dog central " or your local coon club, you will find someone with a dog near you and they are always glad to take people along. Give that a shot too ! Have fun.

Doug B.

When I'm still hunting I prefer a .22 rifle with hollow. Points

I agree with a .22 rifle. Head shots only. That's all I ever use whether I'm still hunting or hunting with a dog.

I would recommend using solid bullets instead of hollow points though. If you hit a squirrel with a hollow point anywhere but the head, you WILL lose a lot of meat.