Front legs and shoulders

BDD

I process my own deer and always struggled with what to do with the front legs.
Sometimes I used them for Jerky or tried to cut into steaks or stew meat. (I don’t grind)
I found the solution that works for me. Both front legs, shoulders to the shanks went
From the cooler into the big turkey roaster. Clean them up some , removing some membrane
But didn’t waste a lot of time on them. Added whole cloves of garlic (just cut them in half)
Some onions, carrots, celery and other spices. I really couldn’t fit a lot of veggies but that’s
Ok, I added them later. The first bunch of veggies were just for the flavor. I put it in the oven over night
At 240, probably about 10 hours. At that point you can pull the bones out clean, chopped up the meat some,
and that made room for more veggies. Loaded it up and cooked until the new veggies were tender. Let it cool
and into gallon freezer bags. I had a bunch when done and it didn’t take much work at all, the process might seem
long but the actual hands on time was hardly nothing. I wanted to can it in Mason jars but didn’t have the time
this go around, but will try it on the next one, maybe this weekend. I thought the Mason Jars would make a nice
little Christmas present for some friends and co-workers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven't tried it, throw a deer shoulder on the smoker and cook it just like a pork shoulder. Wrap it at about 170* internal and take it off at about 205* or when it's falling off the bones, pull it, and eat it like bbq.

ryanh487

You can also de-bone it and put it in the crock pot with some onions, brown sugar, your favorite BBQ sauce, and a little water/broth (or beer!).

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I know you said you don't grind. We do. We love burger so much that shoulder and neck meat gets ground almost always here.

little rascal

Shoulder is a pain, BUT

what Pay said!
I know you said you don't grind. We do. We love burger so much that shoulder and neck meat gets ground almost always here.
The shoulder makes so much better ground than the hind quarters. It's tedious but well worth it!

hunterofopportunity

A deer shoulder cooked in a oven roasting bag with potatoes carrots and onions. I cook mine in a large cast iron skillet that has a cast iron lid, oh man, make some biscuits it will be good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Same here.

ambush80

I bone it out and throw it in with rest to be ground or chunk it up for stew meat. Wish I had some deer shoulder....:shoot::banginghe