Best blue catfish fishing spot?

teebert

Looking to get outside my home lake, Lanier and target some blue catfish in either a lake or river. I'm after big fish, 10 pounds or more, not little channels and could probably drive to anywhere from Atlanta northward. I have a jon boat so it's got to be somewhere that I can put a boat in. Anyone know where I can find such a beast? Thanks

lampern

I believe Oconee and Sinclair now have blue cats.

Heck with people illegally stocking them all over the place its just a matter of time before somebody dumps them into Lanier

Big7

The Oracle
You might want to try Santee-Cooper.

Just don't go out far in either lake in a small boat.
2-3 foot waves are common.

Many big-uns been taken out of the diversion canal.
Same with the tailrace canal at the bottom of Lake Moultrie.

Never been in December but MANY times in November.
Can't be much different.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Clark's Hill. Plenty of channels over 10 lbs, too, along with enormous flatheads.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I second "Big7". That place is know for monsters. And, if you are or have been in the military, check out "Short Stay". It's a camp ground right on the water for current or former military persons and their families. Cabins, RV hook ups, rustic sites, and boat rental all at great prices. Good Luck.

REUSSERY

[/ATTACH]Sinclair is the place....

Attachments

• BIG KAT IN KOOLER 12-16-2016.jpg
    BIG KAT IN KOOLER 12-16-2016.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 617
  • 12-3-2016, 20+lb cat 2.jpg
    12-3-2016, 20+lb cat 2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 612

Buckman18

Any of the lakes on the Tennessee River chain are big producers.

Chatuge isn't. Maybe a very occasional blue. Maybe...

Plenty of channels that are 2-6 pounds though.

little rascal

could probably drive to anywhere from Atlanta northward.

well if you decide to go westward Coosa river Georgia or Alabama has plenty of Blues! I don't like the big ones so I go up the creeks for baby channels. If you can't catch a 10 lb. blue in Coosa river you ain't fishing. If you want to catch several big blues go way west to Bama near Muscle shoals below the dams on wheeler or Wilson. If they are pulling water you can't keep the big cats, drum or the hybrids off the line. Just saying.:bounce:

Teh Wicked

I been trying to find a semi easy place to launch the Kayak and catch a blue or a Flathead of any size, never caught either one. Im limited to close proximity of Lanier, so my spots are limited.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Chatuge isn't. Maybe a very occasional blue. Maybe...

Plenty of channels that are 2-6 pounds though.

I thought Chatuge was on the Hiwassee River? I know it eventually drains to the Tennessee, but I was speaking more for the main lakes. Watts Barr, Loudon, Below Chick, on into Alabama.