It's A New Year Oglethorpe Co 2015

Arrow3

I guess I'll get it started.

Last day of duck season spent in an Oglethorpe County swamp. Just me and my buddy Rock .

Attachments

• 1908124_10202272775179939_403657826430553354_n.jpg
    1908124_10202272775179939_403657826430553354_n.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,916

Triple C

Son and a buddy of his with a little success in one of our beaver ponds back during duck season.
Wood Ducks.jpg

Nice porker from a week ago.
Mike Roth Pig.jpg

Todd E

………………….

Attachments

• 11015833_901804549851447_3723239122363974641_n.jpg
    11015833_901804549851447_3723239122363974641_n.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 1,696

Triple C

Nice Porker!

Todd...Pretty good porker right there! Hoping we're harassing them enough on our place to keep them from becoming regular residents.

jbird1

So how have the birds been acting this season so far? Between youth soccer and other obstacles, I haven't been able to make it out to take some temperatures. The sign I was seeing before the season looked promising...just haven't had a minute to get after 'em.

Triple C

So how have the birds been acting this season so far? Between youth soccer and other obstacles, I haven't been able to make it out to take some temperatures. The sign I was seeing before the season looked promising...just haven't had a minute to get after 'em.

Pretty slim at our place. Not near the turkeys here now as there was a couple of years ago. Not sure if it can attributed to the wet springs of the last 2 Springs or predation but we're not seeing what we're accustomed to in years past. Great habitat...plenty of food and cover but too few turkeys. Son connected on a nice Tom Monday morn on Redlands but he always does down there. Has a honey hole that produces every year.

Buford_Dawg

h...

I have been 5 times in the last 2 weeks at different locations. Birds are either not vocal or are few and far between this year. We were able to get my youngest son a nice bird, but it only gobbled twice. I am gonna keep at it for the next few weeks then start trout fishing :banana:

jbird1

I have been 5 times in the last 2 weeks at different locations. Birds are either not vocal or are few and far between this year. We were able to get my youngest son a nice bird, but it only gobbled twice. I am gonna keep at it for the next few weeks then start trout fishing :banana:

I hear ya on the trout fishing! My 12 yr. old (torn ACL and all) and I went out Sunday morning and he was hollerin' uncle in about an hour saying his hands were frozen. I had advised him not to walk to the listening spot eating pop tarts with no gloves on but you know how well they listen at that age. So we headed back to camp....was 27 degrees. No birds heard or seen but I wouldn't exactly call it a strong effort.:D

Triple C

What's happened to the turkey population in NE Oglethorpe? Great habitat...no pressure...NO birds!!! Weird???

Buford_Dawg

No clue

What's happened to the turkey population in NE Oglethorpe? Great habitat...no pressure...NO birds!!! Weird???

I have been several times in the last week. Have heard a total of 2 birds and they were across property lines. Each gobbled 2 times and that was it. I did have a friend get one in Clouds creek area Sunday AM. He snuck in silent on him. Not much sign on my clubs at this time, I think they moved off to greener pastures. Also, have not seen any signs of any jakes which concerns me as well. Ran cameras all thru deer season and only a couple of adult birds showed up all season.

Triple C

Well....Season ended Friday with not a single bird taken at our place. Son got 2 from Redlands but nothing in OC. 1st time in 5 seasons we didn't have good numbers of birds at our place. Just strange to see the turkey population dwindle. Hope it was just on our place and not a trend around N. GA.

On another note...put out 750 lbs of Oglethorpe Feed and Farm Supply deer feed yesterday. Deer love that stuff! Also planted 6 Dunstan chestnuts a couple of weeks back. A big THX to Todd E for giving me a shout out when he saw them at Walmart on the east side. Trees look really healthy.
Dunstan.jpg

Last edited:

Arrow3

Treed one last night on a quick hunt in OC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-26-14-23-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-26-14-23-03.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,291

Arrow3

video from the other night.

Arrow3

Good stuff!!! Brings back a lot of memories from when I was growing up. Thx for sharing!

You're welcome! I plan on sharing some more as the summer goes on. Did ya make it down this way this weekend?