Looking for a Flashlight

chrismhaase

Hey guys,

On my list of to buy items is a smaller that a Mag Light flashlight that I can store in my pack. I am thinking that a LED might be best as it won't use a ton of power and hopefully will last longer. Obviously brightness is a concern. Have you guys used the flashlights with different colored LEDs so that blood shows up better? I haven't used one of those lights but the idea sounds cool.

frankwright

I have not heard good reviews on the blood finding lights but I have no personal experience.
LED lights will definitely last longer but the really bright ones still have short run times.
They do make a LED that you can swap out in a mini maglite. It is brighter and lasts longer than the regular one but still not a lot of light.

Mako22

BANNED
I have two LED lights and both go in pockets on my orange hunting vest. One is about 3" long and I use it to go to and from the stand. The other looks like a writting pen but when you press the end of it the light comes on, I use this as a backup light in case of emergency.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I use on of those clip on lights that goes on the visor of your cap. It has the green lenses or bulbs. Lights up really well and does not seem as disruptive as a blinding white light. I do keep a small mag lite in my pack for a spare or to blood trail. Green light does not work well for blood unless you are right on it.

I really do not use a light to much walking in or out since I know my areas pretty well but I will use it once in my stand to get my safety strap hooked up and dig what ever odds and ends I will need out of my daypack in the mornings.

laserdoc

If you want the brightest light in the world get a dive light. You can get one that uses 4 AA or one like I use that takes 5 D batteries.
Even the small ones will out shine a mag light or any other light you can think of.
My niterider will burn a hole through trees!!!!! You will be surprised big time!!!
Granted I will use small lights in the stand but if you arewandering around the woods trying to find a deer at night or your truck this will light your world up big time!!
http://www.niteriderdive.com/seatorch.htm

fireman401

Check out Surefire brand of flashlights. I carry one everyday and it is supper bright with a long run time between batters. I know they are expensive, but they are worth it. Line for the one I carry below.

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led

miles58

Banned yankee
I have a Coast P7 and a lot of other lights. The P7 is made for deer hunting. It has a low setting that can get you to the stand or back and not fry your night vision. it is focusable. At four feet off the ground completely defocused it will light a four foot circle like daylight. Focused, it will light up 150 yards away to shoot a cripple if you need to. Battery life is very long. Body diameter is about an inch. head diameter is about 1.5 inch. Length is five inches. Power is 4 AAA batteries. They are about $65-$70. LED bulb so it lasts forever.

Far and away the best light I have ever used.

Dave

chrismhaase

If you want the brightest light in the world get a dive light. You can get one that uses 4 AA or one like I use that takes 5 D batteries.
Even the small ones will out shine a mag light or any other light you can think of.
My niterider will burn a hole through trees!!!!! You will be surprised big time!!!
Granted I will use small lights in the stand but if you arewandering around the woods trying to find a deer at night or your truck this will light your world up big time!!
http://www.niteriderdive.com/seatorch.htm

Funny you say that, I am also a diver and never thought of taking a dive light. I will have to go raid the dive bag and see what lights I can take. Thanks for the idea.

laserdoc

Funny you say that, I am also a diver and never thought of taking a dive light. I will have to go raid the dive bag and see what lights I can take. Thanks for the idea.

Well then you know what I'm talkin about man!!! Good to see another diver on here. Maybe more folks will grab a dive light!!

c400bronco

I like the energizer headlamps they sell at wally world, it has 3 diff options,2 with really bright white light and one red light. Its also led, and battery life is good, and hands free is always a good thing. BTW, I use the red going in and had a bunch of turkey roosted in the tree my stand was on,I was in the stand for 15 min before I heard a peep out of them, then yes it scared the bejesus out of me.

Bigdipper

Hard to beat any of the surefire lights...

jleepeters

I like my stream light a lot, its super bright

Bushwhacker

Check out the Fenix brand of lights. I have the TK20 and it will blow a three cell Mag light away. It also runs off of two double A batteries which are way cheaper than the 123s About 60 dollars to your door and the light is white not blue. Fenix has several smaller one battery lights also.

Falkon

Check out EagleTac (my fav) and NiteCore as well as Fenix, SureFire, etc. You will spend more than a Maglight, but you will never regret it. Flashlights have come a long, long way in the last few years with LED's. I had a friend bust out his new Maglight LED at night, I said cool then busted out my 300Lm Eagle-Tac...he lost his mind. His seemed like one of those cheap key ring lights in comparison. They will eat some batteries, but it's worth it to me to be able to light up an area 100 yards away when I need to.

Seriously, you are doing yourself a disservice if buy a Maglight.

CB.

jmoser

Afetr years of trying everything I now carry -

A LED headlamp for hands-free walking to and from my stand. Mine has low / Med / high settings.

A green LED penlight for 'stealth' use in the stand, no loss of night vision.

A Surefire blindingly bright xenon flashlight for 'let there be light.' [Mine also has the built-in green LEDs and can use it in either mode - highly recommend this if you can $wing it.]

All 3 combined are smaller and lighter than the Cop-sized Maglight I used to carry, not to mention much better light.

Ace12

Ace - which one do you have?

I ahve the Quark123. I prefer the 123 batteries because they have longer runtime than "A" batteries and because they are lithium, they are not effected by the cold.

Quark build quality is better than fenix.

Streamlight is ok, but they still have not started using the newest LED technology yet. My quark is brighter than any streamlight.

Ace12

Check out EagleTac (my fav) and NiteCore as well as Fenix, SureFire, etc. You will spend more than a Maglight, but you will never regret it. Flashlights have come a long, long way in the last few years with LED's. I had a friend bust out his new Maglight LED at night, I said cool then busted out my 300Lm Eagle-Tac...he lost his mind. His seemed like one of those cheap key ring lights in comparison. They will eat some batteries, but it's worth it to me to be able to light up an area 100 yards away when I need to.

Seriously, you are doing yourself a disservice if buy a Maglight.

CB.

EagleTac is great light with good build quality. They are a little bigger, so they dont fit in your pocket as well as the Quark, but if you don't pocket carry than it's not an issue.