Need some answers on Black powder

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Lyman Great Plains percussion rifle-50 caliber.

Lead Poison

.50 caliber Thompson Center Omega (stainless/synthetic stock).

Topped with the new Nikon Omega Muzzleloader scope.

Use a non-corrosive powder like Black Mag, Clean Shot, American Pioneer or Hodgdon Triple 7.

I personally will not shoot regular black powder or Pyrodex, because they are so corrosive, dirty and hard to clean.:mad:

For bullets, I'd try 250-300 grain bullets in one of the sabot styles like Thompson Center Shockwaves, Hornady SSTs or Hornady XTPS. For sabots, try either a MMP or Knight.

By the way, I've always had much better accuracy using .45 caliber bullets in the black sabots than I have .44 caliber bullets in the green sabots. I believe the thinner wall of the black sabot gives it the better accuracy.

THREEJAYS

.50 caliber Thompson Center Omega (stainless/synthetic stock).

Topped with the new Nikon Omega Muzzleloader scope.

Use a non-corrosive powder like Black Mag, Clean Shot, American Pioneer or Hodgdon Triple 7.

I personally will not shoot regular black powder or Pyrodex, because they are so corrosive, dirty and hard to clean.:mad:

For bullets, I'd try 250-300 grain bullets in one of the sabot styles like Thompson Center Shockwaves, Hornady SSTs or Hornady XTPS. For sabots, try either a MMP or Knight.

By the way, I've always had much better accuracy using .45 caliber bullets in the black sabots than I have .44 caliber bullets in the green sabots. I believe the thinner wall of the black sabot gives it the better accuracy.

If you are not traditional then i agree with the t/c omega 50 cal.I like 245 gr powerbelts easy to shoot/cleans easy

CK'n

wait a minute guys

If you are getting an inline with a scope and shooting artificial black powder that comes in a cake/pellet....WHY BOTHER!

That is not a real muzzle loader. It is by name only that some of what you use goes down from the muzzle. Might as well use a conventional rifle since that is what it really is. If you want the fun and experience of shooting a BP muzzle loader, then do so. That combinational you are starting to reel off will never give you the experience...or more importantly the fun/pleasure. That is the only reason I shoot a muzzle loader, for the fun. It is a blast (pun intended). I might use it hunt with one day. We'll see.

If you want to continue deer season for an extra week or so, shame on you for not trying to do it correctly. There are plenty of deer just as dead with a real ML as with a conventional rifle. Don't be afraid, try something a little different...a real ML.

Cleaning is no different then a conventional rifle. Hot water if you want to, Ballistol if you want, normal stuff that you clean a rifle with...if you want. What's the big deal? You do clean any rifle you just shot right? This one just has a barrel a little longer then usual.

okay, I'll get off my high horse now

hmmmm any applications for Pot Stirrers?
Chris

Parker Phoenix

Inlines are fun and are muzzleloaders, I hunt with them exclusively. Just a lot easier to clean, and with my eye sight the ability to scope one out adds to the magic. You still only get one shot, you can load it up or down, and you still have to wait for the smoke to clear to see what happened on the other end.

Trads are cool but I can't see well up close so I have problems with the open sights.

I endorse either the Omega or Prohunter by T/C.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
TC omega or CVA Optima in 50 cal.

Both are accurate, easy to clean and will do just about everything you can want it to do.

pcsolutions1

If you are getting an inline with a scope and shooting artificial black powder that comes in a cake/pellet....WHY BOTHER!

That is not a real muzzle loader. It is by name only that some of what you use goes down from the muzzle. Might as well use a conventional rifle since that is what it really is. If you want the fun and experience of shooting a BP muzzle loader, then do so. That combinational you are starting to reel off will never give you the experience...or more importantly the fun/pleasure. That is the only reason I shoot a muzzle loader, for the fun. It is a blast (pun intended). I might use it hunt with one day. We'll see.

If you want to continue deer season for an extra week or so, shame on you for not trying to do it correctly. There are plenty of deer just as dead with a real ML as with a conventional rifle. Don't be afraid, try something a little different...a real ML.

Cleaning is no different then a conventional rifle. Hot water if you want to, Ballistol if you want, normal stuff that you clean a rifle with...if you want. What's the big deal? You do clean any rifle you just shot right? This one just has a barrel a little longer then usual.

okay, I'll get off my high horse now

hmmmm any applications for Pot Stirrers?
Chris

Don't let Chris bother you. Buy what YOU like and enjoy it. This sounds like the argument about crossbows with the shame on you, etc. I just got an Omega for christmas and it is very different than a centerfire and a ton of fun. I got my ML to hog hunt in the small games/turkey seasons. Opens up more hunting for the year. Don't forget you can hog hunt wma's during turkey season because you can use a ML during turkey season too.

Tom

CK'n

I owe an apology

to you all. I should have not said all that. My rant wasn't even pointing at what was distressing me, so the whole point was missed. Kinda blew that one!

I'll try it again. This time with a little more attention to what I am saying. What I was grumbling about was the lack of traditional rifles people where listing. The lightly modified conventional rifles that load some or part of the "ammo assy'" are exactly that...an oddball conventional rifle. If you already have one, why bother with another one that usually won't shoot as well, is a pain to load (typical of all MLs), and cleaning is the same - just more dirt/fouling. You have all the problems of a BP ML and none of the things that make a traditional type so much fun to shoot. note I left out advantages of a ML - that will stir the pot! ::ke: (can't really think of any at the moment - disregarding just plain fun for the time being)The traditional ML is a whole different ball game then a conventional rifle. No one was mentioning the traditional style. I can not list any as I am a gunsmith who builds custom rifles, including ML's....it is advertising and that is not what this forum is here for. Would some else please?

Do you know anyone you can go shoot both styles/types with? It might help open some new interests...careful though, they can get addictive - I got bit once upon a time. Just shoot mine once in a while now...shoulder doesn't appreciate the rodding. (getting old is no fun!)

Bad eyesight was mentioned for using a scope. That is certainly a good work around. A traditional (yup ,that word again) way is to use some form of peep sight. I use tri-focal glasses (trying progressive lenses at the moment) and do not have a problem when using peep sights. They where the solution in days of yore when glasses as we have today where not available. There are several versions that look like the image below that cost $30 to $40, a lot cheaper then a scope. There are some fancy ones that you can add a zero to the price. They are not nesaccary. I can also acquire targets a lot faster with this then many scopes.
Peep-flip.jpg

If you are near me, I have 3 traditional ones you are welcome to try. Just let me know if you are interested.
Take care,
Chris

GAbuckhunter88

Yeah i recommend traditional. They are very fun to shoot. I shoot a Thompson Center St.Louis Hawken and it is a blast to shoot and very accurate as well.

Bag-Limit

Thanks everybody for the information. Hey CK'N PM
me and let me know where you are located or how
I can get in touch with you. Thanks Bag-Limit