Looking For Sabot - Help!

Rich M

Several years back I saw a sabot for round balls that looked like a shotgun shell shotcup.

I have a .50 and a .58 cal ML and would like to try these if they still make them.

Anyone know where I can find them?

fishtail

I see MidwayUSA has various manufacturers for 50/45 and 50/44.
Cabelas has 50/45 and 50/44.

I thought they were also made for the 54cals but I've never seen them made for a 58cal.

frankwright

I believe you are referring to "Poly Wads" . It was an attempt to use sabots and round balls.
They quit making them as it did not always retain the ball and it would go halfway down the barrel and then when you fired it the wad would slam into it and bulge or blow the barrel.

I am curious why you would like to use one? Looking for a faster reload with a round ball?

Rich M

poly wads sounds right - I was looking for 58 cal bullets/conicals and wasn't finding any. Remembered the poly wads for the balls. Would have been easy to buy a bag of these wads and just have 'em for ML.

Precision Reloading has what they call a hardball with plastic patch for 50 cal. Just no 58 like I was hoping.

In searching for these I did find some buffalo bullets in 58 cal. Thankfully - I don't want to shoot balls and patches.

Tried to talk my father into 50 cal MLs years ago but he had the bigger is better mentality and now the 50 is popular and 58 is about extinct. LOL! Been shooting 209 primer since 1978 tho. He was part machinist and made the 209 holders...

frankwright

Yes, one of the reasons I always stayed with .50 cal. You can find them almost anywhere.

7Mag Hunter

Butler Creek made them and were called "Poly Patch"....I tried them with my slow twist .54 cal
Hawken and they worked well....
It was necessary to seat the ball in the plastic
cup, then add lube and seat ball and plastic patch together....

You might contact MMP sabots...They may be
able to offer an option from their product line..