Cleaning Inline ML

Gunpowder

I looked at several post on this subject but didn't really see what I was looking for. Shot my inline ML one time with Pyrodex pellets - started to clean it 3 days later - I know it should have been cleaned the same day I shot it - will do from now on. Is there a cleaner made specifically for getting the plastic sabot "suff" out? I am using the pre-saturated Ultra patches but I can see places in the barrel that look like black plastic. I am not getting any rust on the patches so I don't believe that is what I am seeing. Anyway, your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

dkwillfly

Go to http://www.cva.com foaming bore cleaner and a brass brush. Better yet get the Deluxe cleaning kit, I did.
Why shoot sabots when you can shoot Power Belts, they don't leave plastic behind!

cmghunter

Get a 20 ga. wire brush,and some murphys soap oil.That should take everything out of the barrel.Hope this helps

Yep. What they said. Brush first. Then use just about any solvent.

stevetarget

CVA sells a sabot solvent that works well. I have looked down the bore of my Savage ML 11 with a borescope after cleaning and there is no plastic residue left in it. I probably have shot this gun 700 times. MMP sabot's and many different bullets. ( Boolits)

T_well

I have seen on some website, a new cleaning jig. It is a star shaped washer thing that rotates. They are bore and manufacture specific. It is like a scraper for your barrel. Sorry I cannot remember the name or where I saw it. Probably on Ebay.

Hawkeye82

i got a .50 bore snake that i run through my barrel about two times and it looks brand new. no solvents, no mess.

Bill Mc

Hot soapy water has cleaned muzzleloaders for several hundred years.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I clean my M/L after every shot. I run 2 of the Thompson/Center T17 Pre-Saturated Cleaning Patches and then a dry patches after every shot. When I get it home I take the breech plug out and shine it up then let Sharp Shooter Wipeout Painless Black Powder Cleaner sit in the barrel for 20 minutes. Clean that up with some dry patches then add some Break Free CLP on the inside and outside and your done.

Darrell

01Foreman400

Staff member
For some reason I just have a hard time putting water on my M/L. It goes against everything that I know about taking care of a firearm. :huh:

Luckybuck

While in the Army and when we wanted to really take down our M-1 rifles they had 55 gallon hot water tanks that you could dip your weapon in. It really cleaned the rifle, then just relube.

tv_racin_fan

I use hot soapy water on mine. With an inline be sure to coat the breechplug threads with an anti sieze compound. Heck with a cap lock ya gotta coat the bolster screw and nipple threads and with a flinty ya better coat the touch hole liner threads.

I use hot soapy water and then dry patch until dry and then season with bore butter the very day I shoot. A couple of days later I clean again using a BP solvent, like TC #13 and then season with bore butter. About a week later I clean again with TC #13 or the like and season with bore butter. I found that if I didn't I would get sign of rust sometime later when I patched the rifle, this way I may get a very very slight sign of rusted bore but nothing like I did before.

With an inline a boresnake is not a bad idea for dry patching but I don't think it would be good for seasoning or a solvent application.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I use hot soapy water on mine. With an inline be sure to coat the breechplug threads with an anti sieze compound. Heck with a cap lock ya gotta coat the bolster screw and nipple threads and with a flinty ya better coat the touch hole liner threads.

I use hot soapy water and then dry patch until dry and then season with bore butter the very day I shoot. A couple of days later I clean again using a BP solvent, like TC #13 and then season with bore butter. About a week later I clean again with TC #13 or the like and season with bore butter. I found that if I didn't I would get sign of rust sometime later when I patched the rifle, this way I may get a very very slight sign of rusted bore but nothing like I did before.

With an inline a boresnake is not a bad idea for dry patching but I don't think it would be good for seasoning or a solvent application.

Why do you clean the gun 3 times? I never have any rust in my barrel I use Breakfree CLP. I've never seasoned my barrel and my Omega is very accurate.

tv_racin_fan

Might be because I was trained to do so while in the military.....

Do you shoot true black powder??? You'll find that true black and oil do not mix.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I guess I don't. I use the 777 pellets. Man I'm cheating. :bounce:

Why does your barrel rust?

Might be because I was trained to do so while in the military.....

Do you shoot true black powder??? You'll find that true black and oil do not mix.

Slayer

switch to blackhorn 209 powder......shoot as much as ya want the clean it with hoppee's #9 solvent.......way way cleaner than pyrodex or 777.....trust me...if ya try it ya will give the other stuff to your friends......increased accuracy is an added extra!!!

Bill Mc

I just said part of it. :bounce:

Clean with hot soapy water.

Then rinse with clean hot water. The heat will drive out the moisture.

Then go over it with your favorite lube.

Bore butter. Tried it and my accuracy went awry. Cleaned it out and accuracy came back.

Latest posts