What kind of tree is this?

catalpa

This tree came up in a barrel I purchased at an estate sale, any one have a clue?

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 898
  • tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 903
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 878

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like a mulberry.

catalpa

That was my thinking but not sure. The bark threw me. I guess we will know come June.

Wehave one of those I believe its call a Princess Tree , its ornmental grows like crazy Huge leaves makes a long flower which is all seed and end up with seedlings all over the place But great for shade tree

R G

Almost looks like a fig tree.

could be a sassafras? doesn't look quite like a mulberry to me.

Looks like sassafras to me to but i aint no expert.

Sassafras has three types of leaves.

A finger

A hand pointing.

A hand (three lobed) leaf.

And that's how it was explained to me in the 5th grade. Seriously, next you see a sassafras, check it out. Three different leaf forms.

OP looks like Princess Tree to me.

rvick

not sassafras, my friend gave me a seedling of something that looks like that and said "you can't kill it". years & much Roundup later, i am still spraying the shoots that pop up 20-30 feet away. they run underground & pop up at each nodule in the root. i almost have it under control now... i think.

Flaustin1

I know a sassafras has three different shaped leaves. I didnt look at the pic close enough. It seems that that tree has two

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That looks to me like a paper mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera.) Definitely not a princess tree (I kill them by the thousands at work,) sasafrass, or cottonwood. The paper mulberry is a non-native Asian tree that has naturalized throughout the Southeast, and can become quite invasive.

rvick

thanx guys, paper mulberry appears to be what i have. thought that maybe i had it under control, but 2 new sprigs came up last week. i was told to try Tordon RTU as it appears to have become resistant to Round-Up type herbicides.
catalpa, do yourself a favor & kill it now.

Latest posts