Causes for the War Between the States

WestGaJohn

Musket: "The slaves were originally brought to the northern states but were not suited for the climate or to work in the mills and factories. So, the nortehern industrialists decided to sell them to the south were they could stand the climate and they better understood agricultural work. Bear in mind, this started in the late 1600's and early 1700's." WRONG.

The first slaves were brought onto this continent as early as the 1560's. The industrial revolution did not begin to take place in this country until around 1820's-1870's. So the assertion that these people were brought here, didn't fit the work or climate, then shipped down south to is crazy. Slaves weren't meant for factory work, ever, they were meant for hard, hot, sometimes dangerous work. The reason the majority of them ended up in the south is because that's where the most fertile soil was, thus cash crops drove the slavery boom in the south, not some idea that they weren't wanted up north.

rongohio

Gone but not forgotten.
The first slaves were brought onto this continent as early as the 1560's. The industrial revolution did not begin to take place in this country until around 1820's-1870's. So the assertion that these people were brought here, didn't fit the work or climate, then shipped down south to is crazy. Slaves weren't meant for factory work, ever, they were meant for hard, hot, sometimes dangerous work. The reason the majority of them ended up in the south is because that's where the most fertile soil was, thus cash crops drove the slavery boom in the south, not some idea that they weren't wanted up north.

This is true. And I think it stands to reason that if cash crops had grown in the North instead of the South, slavery would have flourished in the North, and not the South. You play the hand that's dealt you. These people, North and South, were Americans, and like the Americans of today they weren't perfect, but they weren't evil either. We've learned from their mistakes just like hopefully our descendants will learn from ours. But on the battlefield they were brave and heroic beyond our ability to comprehend in our comfortable, 21st century world.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
But on the battlefield they were brave and heroic beyond our ability to comprehend in our comfortable, 21st century world.

Such a true statement Ron !!! It is hard for us to understand the level of devotion to a cause that the men for both sides had.

Kendallbearden

Big spider lover
If anyone ever finds themselves in a book store, buy the PIG (politically incorrect guide) to the civil war. It is a very well cited, well researched book that will tell you facts that schools won't teach. It has just about everything you want to know. Everything from the legality of the war, causes, tactics used, information regarding lincon. The list goes on and on.

rongohio

Gone but not forgotten.
We are in agreement that the Confederate flag has been mis-used and abused by many. When heritage and history groups like the SCV use the flag properly some inevitably may be offended needlessly.

A friend of mine found some graves in southern Ohio of Confederate soldiers killed in action during Morgan's raid (the only CW action to take place on Ohio soil). She contacted the Ohio chapter of the SCV, and one of their officers came out and placed flags and Southern Crosses of Honor on their graves:

http://civilwartalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2478&d=1303519031

I'm planning on heading down there in a couple weeks to pay my respects and follow Morgan's trail.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
A friend of mine found some graves in southern Ohio of Confederate soldiers killed in action during Morgan's raid (the only CW action to take place on Ohio soil). She contacted the Ohio chapter of the SCV, and one of their officers came out and placed flags and Southern Crosses of Honor on their graves:

http://civilwartalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2478&d=1303519031

I'm planning on heading down there in a couple weeks to pay my respects and follow Morgan's trail.

Thanks for posting Ron :cool::cool:

Our SCV camp will be putting a few hundred flags out for Confederate Memorial Day next week. We will also have service at Gen TRR Cobb's grave on Tuesday PM.

Fletch_W

Banned
It's been said that some teenage Citadel cadets in Charleston thought they would be real tough guys by firing cannons off into Charleston Harbor, and then 100,000 people died in a war that could have been prevented by negotiation.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It's been said that some teenage Citadel cadets in Charleston thought they would be real tough guys by firing cannons off into Charleston Harbor, and then 100,000 people died in a war that could have been prevented by negotiation.

Im not sure who said that but they were off base on the facts.
this link gives a short account of the happenings in the hours prior to the first shots fired that morning.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/sumter.htm

MudDucker

Staff member
Laura's and Duparc's plantations, outside of New Orleans are shining examples of exactly what happened when where and how. They have highly documented memoirs of daily life, and as with most plantations, when slavery was deemed no longer acceptable all slaves were free to go. Ironically, most chose of their own free will to stay and work, and were rewarded accordingly. The relationships between the plantation owners and their slaves were nothing like what has been brought to front and center of the history books. I would dare venture to guess this was more the norm, over the few bad apples that have caused the current entitlement mindsets of modern day.

Those that are willing to work for a keep are empowering their self worth, self esteem and value as a human being. Those that relegate their life to hand outs and placing their well being in the hands of others, without the self motivation or desire to earn a decent days wages, are condemned to forever be a slave.

Even if we look at slavery in a cold economic light, it made no sense to abuse slaves as the abolitionist portrayed slavery. Slaves were considered as both valuable property and a labor resource. To abuse them degraded them on both accounts.

I am not defending slavery. It was and is an abomination. However, much of what the Northern Historians did in the way of historical revision is both wrong and a disservice to the South.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The war was the fault of the lowlife Yankee dogs in Washington and the slimey nogood Politicians in Montgomery !!!
:hair::hair::hair:

The above isnt neccesarily the opinion of the author but a shameless attempt to keep this thread alive ;););)

ttt