Confederate Memorial Day Athens Ga 4/26/11 ...pics added

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The original Constitution of the Confederate States of America will be on display from 8am until 5 PM, Tuesday, April 26, 2011, Confederate Memorial Day, in the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library {on the 3rd floor of the Main Library} at the University of Georgia, in Athens.

Also, the same day SCV Camp # 97 will hold a memorial service at 4 PM at General T.R.R. Cobb's grave. This is at Oconee Hills Cemetery near the UGA campus.

You are invited to both.

first image
Ga. Division (State) SCV Commander Jack Bridwell (L) and our camp member Bob Thornton both are US Marine Veterans

Second Image
Past commanders Tommy Benton (L) and Mike McKeel placing wreath over Brigader General T R R Cobb's grave

Other 3 images
Re-inactors from local camps who were kind enough to honor us with a salute

Attachments

• Bob Thorton and State Commander Bridwell.jpg
    Bob Thorton and State Commander Bridwell.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Past commanders lay wreath on Gen Cobbs grave.jpg
    Past commanders lay wreath on Gen Cobbs grave.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 375
  • Confederate Memorial Day 2011.jpg
    Confederate Memorial Day 2011.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 345
  • Re-enactors honor ancestors.jpg
    Re-enactors honor ancestors.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 380
  • Firing volley at Cobbs Grave.jpg
    Firing volley at Cobbs Grave.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

cobra97

Confederate Memorial Day wishes to all. (Ga,Fl)

If you take any photos of the service, it would be nice if you could post them.

Terry

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Confederate Memorial Day wishes to all. (Ga,Fl)

If you take any photos of the service, it would be nice if you could post them.

Terry

I didnt get any pics due to being a flag holder. I will get some from somone who did and post.
It was an humbling service at the Cobb lot. Our SCV camp had installed Confederate battle flags on over 400 graves in that cemetery for the day. State SCV Commander Jack Bridwell was our speaker . He gave a very good and challenging talk.

I did walk up to the UGA library and view the original constitution. That too was an humbling sight. It is done on sheepskin and is still entirely legible and readable.

Lukikus2

I didnt get any pics due to being a flag holder. I will get some from somone who did and post.
It was an humbling service at the Cobb lot. Our SCV camp had installed Confederate battle flags on over 400 graves in that cemetery for the day. State SCV Commander Jack Bridwell was our speaker . He gave a very good and challenging talk.

I did walk up to the UGA library and view the original constitution. That too was an humbling sight. It is done on sheepskin and is still entirely legible and readable.

Nice. Can't wait to see pictures.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Pics added to original post

cobra97

Many thanks for posting the photos.

I sent a note about Memorial Day to an e-mail acquaintance and received a return note with several photos of a Confederate History Month observance they held April 9th. Turns out she is the president of her UDC chapter in Alabama. I had no clue.

urbd115

thanx for pics,,,the Rose Hill memorial service in macon is awesome, you would not regrett making the trip to see it, maybe next year.